* Q: Etiquette
@ 2000-01-21  0:00 Jeff Carter
From: Jeff Carter @ 2000-01-21  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is it considered acceptable cla newsgroup etiquette to post a message
giving a brief summary of my experience and saying I'm available for
contract work? I don't want to offend anyone, but this is a great place
for Ada "networking".
--
Jeff Carter
"Perfidious English mouse-dropping hoarders."

* Re: Q: Etiquette
@ 2000-01-21  0:00 ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 2000-01-21  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jeff Carter wrote:

> Is it considered acceptable cla newsgroup etiquette to post a message
> giving a brief summary of my experience and saying I'm available for
> contract work? I don't want to offend anyone, but this is a great place
> for Ada "networking".

I 've been hanging out here for about 5 years now, and I don't think I've
ever seen this come up before. My vote would be no. I know that we allow
job postings, but the reason for that was:

   * Job posts are the best antidote to the derisive "there are no Ada
     jobs" claims people like to make from time to time.
   * *Everyone* needs a job. Most folks might be quite satisfied at the
     moment with the one they have, or they might have a few more years of
     college to put in before its a big issue, but its still something
     every reader needs.
   * It allows those of us who are interested in such things to track who
     is using Ada and for what.

A "work needed" posting fills none of the above. Most folks here are not in
the position where we can hire people. It gives no indication of any
company using the language, and might give casual readers the impression
that there are loads of unemployed ex-Ada programmers.

As an alternative, I'd suggest the following steps:

  1. Put that information succinctly in your signature. I know it'll be a
     bummer to lose the Monty Python quote. :-).
  2. Post your info to the AdaPower consultants directory via this link:
     http://www.adapower.com/411/form.html

--
T.E.D.

Home - mailto:dennison@telepath.com  Work - mailto:dennison@ssd.fsi.com