From: Tucker Taft <stt@averstar.com>
Subject: Re: question about functions
Date: 2000/01/20
Date: 2000-01-20T19:19:32+00:00	[thread overview]

Pascal LEJEUNE wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I would like to know if there is a "clean" (i.e. not compiler dependant)
> solution to this problem :
>
> - i have a function, for example : f(A, B : in T) return T
> - how can i find the return address in f ?
>
> I explain :
> if C := f(A, B);
>
> how can i know, in f, C's addres ?
> function f(A, B : in T) return T is
> begin
>    address of the result of f ?
> end f;
>
> Thank you for your help

There is no way to know the address of the object being assigned the
result of the function call.  I don't know of any language that would
provide this. Note that the function result might not be stored into a
variable at all.

You need to change your function into a procedure with an OUT parameter,
then use 'Address on the OUT parameter, if knowing the address is
essential.

--
-Tucker Taft   stt@averstar.com   http://www.averstar.com/~stt/
Technical Director, Distributed IT Solutions  (www.averstar.com/tools)