From: Mats Weber <matsw@mail.com>
Subject: Re: fork; execve --> defunct process.
Date: 2000/01/19
Date: 2000-01-19T12:08:23+00:00	[thread overview]

"Bobby D. Bryant" wrote:

> > execve never returns if it succeeds.
>
> That's fine.

See below.

> The child process is created, execve returns a non-negative status, and the
> child process picks up the name of the requested program, but it apparently
> cores out before it actually does anything.

execve does not return if the call is successful. I don't see what you
mean here, and there is a contradication with what you are saying
earlier in your message.

> Has anyone here used execve from Ada?  Is there a special trick required to
> get it to work?  Does the child process get into a confused state when execve
> tries to have it jump out of the middle of a running Ada program?  I.e., are
> there leftover structures from Ada's run-time checking and/or task management
> system that are not cleanly erased when execve is called?  (I'm not
> explicitly using tasks, but I assume the run-time infrastructure is there
> anyway.)

fork/execve is fine from an Ada program, even with tasks. I have done
that for years without major problems. Post the code fragment, I cannot
guess more from your message.