* Text editor
@ 2000-01-03  0:00 moti.ben-ari
From: moti.ben-ari @ 2000-01-03  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi

I'm looking for a __simple__
_full-screen_ text editor written in Ada,
preferably using (or easy to port to)
Jerry's console I/O for the PC.

Thanks

Moti Ben-Ari

PS: If you post a reply I'd appreciate a CC to my email
mailto:moti.ben-ari@weizmann.ac.il

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

* Re: Text editor
@ 2000-01-03  0:00 ` Robert Dewar
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Robert Dewar @ 2000-01-03  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <84q45u$383$1@nnrp1.deja.com>,
  moti.ben-ari@weizmann.ac.il wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm looking for a __simple__
> _full-screen_ text editor written in Ada,
> preferably using (or easy to port to)
> Jerry's console I/O for the PC.

One possibility is to use the editor from AdaGIDE ...

@ 2000-01-03  0:00 ` Gautier
From: Gautier @ 2000-01-03  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I'm looking for a __simple__
> _full-screen_ text editor written in Ada,
> preferably using (or easy to port to)
> Jerry's console I/O for the PC.

Is it under DOS ? For programming in Ada ?
In that case you could adapt the Turbo Pascal
sources of EDIT (the difficult part is to
port/bind Turbo Vision or Free Vision
to GNAT).
Binary @ http://members.xoom.com/gdemont/edit.htm

Maybe you are looking for something radically simpler...

--
Gautier

* Re: Text editor
@ 2000-01-03  0:00 ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2000-01-03  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

See:
TIA
http://www.vaxxine.com/pegasoft/tia-down.html

David Botton

<moti.ben-ari@weizmann.ac.il> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I'm looking for a __simple__
> _full-screen_ text editor written in Ada,
> preferably using (or easy to port to)
> Jerry's console I/O for the PC.
>
> Thanks
>
> Moti Ben-Ari
>
> PS: If you post a reply I'd appreciate a CC to my email
> mailto:moti.ben-ari@weizmann.ac.il
>

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

* Re: Text editor
@ 2000-01-03  0:00   ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2000-01-03  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I believe Martin uses the Win32 Rich Text control and would not fit his
needs, ie. to be portable to the DOS console I/O package.

David Botton

@ 2000-01-04  0:00     ` moti.ben-ari
From: moti.ben-ari @ 2000-01-04  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <Oz3c4.5693$Tf2.340697@news4.usenetserver.com>,
  "David Botton" <David@Botton.com> wrote:
> I believe Martin uses the Win32 Rich Text control and would not fit his
> needs, ie. to be portable to the DOS console I/O package.

I don't actually need to be portable with DOS itself,
though I would prefer working within a windows console
to keep things simple.

The two editors that have been suggested - TIA
is apparently too Linux dependent and ASSET
seems to be much too heavy and system dependent.

I'll look into AdaGide, but I'm afraid that will also be overkill.

As for translating an existing editor:
I have my own editors which are exactly what I need.
They are written in Pascal and C,
but I was trying to be lazy and avoid the
translation :-)

Moti

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

* Re: Text editor
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2000-01-05  0:00 ` moti.ben-ari
From: moti.ben-ari @ 2000-01-05  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I'm looking for a __simple__
> _full-screen_ text editor written in Ada,
> preferably using (or easy to port to)
> Jerry's console I/O for the PC.

I found a partial translation to Ada
of my Pascal editor by a student of mine,
and I think I can do the rest using p2ada.

My problem now is that he used JVD's conio interface to DJGPP.
JVD's nt_console that I'd like to use
is much less sophisticated.

Did anyone ever extend nt_console, or implement
conio using nt_console?

Moti

@ 2000-01-05  0:00   ` Gautier
From: Gautier @ 2000-01-05  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I found a partial translation to Ada
> of my Pascal editor by a student of mine,
> and I think I can do the rest using p2ada.

NB: if it is Borland/Turbo Pascal, I recommend
my improved version of p2ada @

  http://members.xoom.com/gdemont/logiciel/newp2ada.zip

otherwise it won't go very far...

--