From: Ted Dennison <dennison@telepath.com>
Subject: Re: Controlled types in local generics?
Date: 1999/12/30
Date: 1999-12-30T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Robert Dewar wrote:

> There are various ways to work around this, it is one of the
> areas where we have helped several of our supported customers.

Hmm. Well, as I'm doing this work for free on OpenToken on my home
computer on my vaction for release as open sourced software to the
community, I don't suppose there's anyone else here who'd care to
provide this information to me gratis? I'm not too sure how expensive
ACT support is, but I seriously doubt it would fall in my household
budget. Particularly not after we call in the plummer to fix our toilet
leak...

As near as I can tell, there's no way around it. The whole point of the
object I'm trying to create is to manage items whose type is declared in
another generic. I can't take that type out of the generic, as it needs
a field that is of a user-defined enumeration (or other discrete) type.
I don't want to force that generic to be library-level, because in some
cases that causes other accessability level problems, and anyway there
is already a lot of code out there using OpenToken that instatiates it
within subroutines. I don't see any way to fake it out with pointers, as
these generic objects have to be dynamicly-allocated.

Its not a huge deal. I'll just use a fixed-size array approach, or
require users to call some kind of cleanup routine when they are done.
But the former is probably going to be slower, and the latter is going
to be less convienent for the users.

--
T.E.D.

Home - mailto:dennison@telepath.com  Work - mailto:dennison@ssd.fsi.com