From: Ted Dennison <dennison@telepath.com>
Subject: Re: gui tools
Date: 1999/12/29
Date: 1999-12-29T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Keene wrote:

> Sorry, I guess I did leave out that little piece of information.  The O/S will
> be unix, but the development platform and the target will be different.  The
> development platform will be Solaris 7 and the target will be HPUX.
>
> > From: Greg Keene
> > Looking for information on a good GUI development tool.

Both those platforms support Motif. If the Motif widget set will fill your needs
(basic GUI stuff, nothing sexy like photo-realisct switches and rotating needle
dials),  then there are loads of good commercial Motif GUI builders out there.
Pick one that can output its full functionality in UIL, use the Motif UIL compiler
to make UID files. Then just make the 2 or 3 mwm calls it takes to import and map
the whole shebang. The only other GUI code you'll need in your application are the
calls to modify output widgets.

I used that approach on a couple of projects. Its portable across nearly all
Unixes, allows your GUI designers to work nearly indepently from your application
developers, and leaves very little ugly GUI code cluttering up your Ada source.
Plus, if someone decides a window needs to be mauve, or moved 3 pixels to the
right, your application code doesn't even have to be recompiled.

--
T.E.D.

Home - mailto:dennison@telepath.com
WWW  - http://www.telepath.com/dennison/Ted/TED.html