* Re: The revolution will not be standartized
@ 1999-12-21  0:00 Alexander E. Kopilovitch
From: Alexander E. Kopilovitch @ 1999-12-21  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In <83od9d$1i8$1@nnrp1.deja.com> Robert Dewar <robert_dewar@my-deja.com> wrote:

>In article <385F6039.65A1B1B4@acenet.com.au>,
>  Geoff Bull <gbull@acenet.com.au> wrote:
>>

>> Ted Dennison wrote:
>> >
>> > Anyway, *given* that Java is doomed,
>>
>> Did you mean to post this to alt.what.have.you.been.smoking ?
>

>Well the statement in this generality is of course bogus, but
>it is generally agreed that client java usage is decreasing
>rapidly, and that this technology will not survive. Java will
>likely find its place pretty much exclusively in server apps
>and telephones :-)

Where (i.e., around telephones) Lucent's Inferno waits for it. If I understand
English enough, the words "doom" and "Inferno" are somehow associated with
each other, so original author is generally right, athough inexact.

Alexander Kopilovitch                      aek@vib.usr.pu.ru
Saint-Petersburg
Russia

* Re: The revolution will not be standartized
@ 1999-12-21  0:00 ` Brian Rogoff
From: Brian Rogoff @ 1999-12-21  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 21 Dec 1999, Alexander E. Kopilovitch wrote:
> In <83od9d$1i8$1@nnrp1.deja.com> Robert Dewar <robert_dewar@my-deja.com> wrote:
> >
> >Well the statement in this generality is of course bogus, but
> >it is generally agreed that client java usage is decreasing
> >rapidly, and that this technology will not survive. Java will
> >likely find its place pretty much exclusively in server apps
> >and telephones :-)
>
> Where (i.e., around telephones) Lucent's Inferno waits for it. If I understand
> English enough, the words "doom" and "Inferno" are somehow associated with
> each other, so original author is generally right, athough inexact.

I suppose if Inferno becomes popular enough we'll see GNAT targetted to
Dis. Since "Dis" is related to calling something "bogus" in American, the
latter author has a claim to rightness by this interesting logic ;-)

-- Brian

* Re: The revolution will not be standartized
@ 1999-12-21  0:00 ` Gautier
From: Gautier @ 1999-12-21  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Alexander E. Kopilovitch" wrote:

> (...) the words "doom" and "Inferno" are somehow associated with
> each other (...)

Mmmh... like with `The Shores of Hell' also? In that area, here is a
snapshot of the future 100% GNAT 3D maze (gif format, 216KB)
  ftp://ftp.unine.ch/incoming/gautier/sn21_002.gif

--
Gautier

* Re: The revolution will not be standartized
@ 1999-12-21  0:00   ` Marin D. Condic
From: Marin D. Condic @ 1999-12-21  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Brian Rogoff wrote:
> I suppose if Inferno becomes popular enough we'll see GNAT targetted to
> Dis. Since "Dis" is related to calling something "bogus" in American, the
> latter author has a claim to rightness by this interesting logic ;-)

I had always understood "dis" to be shorthand for "disrespect" - or the
way one pronounces "this" if one is from Chicago. OTOH, "bogus" would be
"phony", "fake" (as in "bogus money") - but maybe in the late 60s it may
have been equivalent to "rotten", "uncool", as in: "like, this scene is
totally bogus, man..." Is there some usage here with which I'm not
familiar? :-)

Maybe I need to go back and reread Dante...... (The things one has to do
to keep up with Ada technology these days is pretty amazing! :-)

MDC
Marin David Condic   - Quadrus Corporation -   1.800.555.3393
1015-116 Atlantic Boulevard, Atlantic Beach, FL 32233
http://www.quadruscorp.com/
m c o n d i c @ q u a d r u s c o r p . c o m

Visit my web site at:  http://www.mcondic.com/

"Capitalism without failure is like religion without sin."
        --  Allan Meltzer, Economist