From: Tucker Taft <stt@averstar.com>
Subject: Re: Ada Protected Object Turorial #2: Overview of Tasks
Date: 1999/12/20
Date: 1999-12-20T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Robert Dewar wrote:
> All in all, a good rule in Ada 95 is not to use ATC.

My view is that ATC is dangerous, but important in some
situations where polling is impractical.  It is somewhat safer
than setjmp/siglongjmp, which is a standard, and relatively
frequently (mis?)used, feature of ANSI C and POSIX.

Note that most "production quality" database systems operate
under the presumption that the power cord can be unplugged
at any moment.  Abort is somewhat less catastrophic than that...

> I just trimmed this to CLA, since it is rather too Ada specific
> for comp.threads.

And politically incorrect ;-)

--
-Tucker Taft   stt@averstar.com   http://www.averstar.com/~stt/