* Portability Guidance
@ 1999-12-11  0:00 Joe Wisniewski
From: Joe Wisniewski @ 1999-12-11  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

To make a long story short, I am putting together some
"portability guidance" documentation/training material wrt

   use of rep specs
      (we have some code being ported across platforms and
       compilers that used _unfortunately_ what amounts to
       compiler dependent rep specs

       "wider than needed" rep specs

   pragma pack

   usage of 'alignment

   how to write rep specs when internal components need a
   specific alignment

   etc.

I imagine that this probably exists "out here" somewhere or in
pieces in multiple places.  I'll be making this same request of
the vendors that I am dealing with, but I thought I would make
a general community request instead of going to chat@gnat.com
(since they are one of the vendors with whom we are dealing.)

Thanx

Joe

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

* Re: Portability Guidance
@ 1999-12-13  0:00   ` Joe Wisniewski
From: Joe Wisniewski @ 1999-12-13  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

That wasn't the orginal motivation, but that would probably
make a lot of sense.

Joe

@ 1999-12-13  0:00 ` Marin D. Condic
From: Marin D. Condic @ 1999-12-13  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

From: Marin D. Condic @ 1999-12-13  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Joe Wisniewski wrote:

> That wasn't the orginal motivation, but that would probably
> make a lot of sense.

I'll be waiting with baited breath to hear of the results being posted.
:-)

I'm sure I am not the only one with an interest in portability issues. I
seem to recall something on this subject being put together by the
Software Productivity Consortium (maybe?) or maybe the Software
Engineering Institute, so an inquiry along these lines might be fruitful
for you.