* What is the best Xwindow, window98 program to use frames with ada?
@ 1999-12-06  0:00 bomet
From: bomet @ 1999-12-06  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'd like to begin using frames with ada.Have installed both under my
linux system and window98.
Anyone know what is the best tool for this use??

* Re: What is the best Xwindow, window98 program to use frames with ada?
@ 1999-12-07  0:00 ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 1999-12-07  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

bomet <bomet@cybercable.fr> writes:

> I'd like to begin using frames with ada.Have installed both under my
> linux system and window98.
> Anyone know what is the best tool for this use??

You'll have to tell us what you mean by "frames" first.

Do you mean the concept from artificial intelligence, where a "frame"
is (loosely, I don't really do this stuff) a set of concepts defining
a context for understanding other concepts?

Or from robotics, where a "frame" is a Cartesian coordinate system
allowing one to define vectors? (I used to do this a lot; I can send
you some good Ada 83 code).

Or from a non-standard extension to HTML, where a "frame" is a device
that prevents users from bookmarking useful pages?

Or from Graphical User Interfaces, where a "frame" is a sort of
"window"? (See http://users.erols.com/leakstan/Stephe/Ada/windex.html
for my stuff for Win32; www.adapower.com for more)

-- Stephe

* Re: What is the best Xwindow, window98 program to use frames with ada?
@ 1999-12-07  0:00     ` Fraser
From: Fraser @ 1999-12-07  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

paene lacrimavi postquam "Muller Boris" <bomet@cybercable.fr> scripsit:

>As a matter of fact, your last answer was the good one. I'm in need of a GUI
>for Ada.
>And would like two things:
>- a accomplished GUI for Ada
>- that could be used under Linux and Microsoft Window ( I feel that this
>point cannot be solved).

Happily, you feel wrong in this.  Try GtkAda (http://gtkada.eu.org),
which is an Ada binding to Gtk (obviously!), and runs on both Win32
and X Windows.  If only there was a MacOS version ...

I've used GtkAda quite a bit, and I like it.  I haven't tried it on
Windows though, but you can see what raw (non-Ada) Win32 Gtk looks
like at http://user.sgic.fi/~tml/gimp/win32/

Fraser.

* Re: What is the best Xwindow, window98 program to use frames with ada?
@ 1999-12-08  0:00       ` tmoran
From: tmoran @ 1999-12-08  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

>Windex is a thick binding; it gives you windows that take full
>advantage of Ada.
  Ditto for CLAW.  Full CLAW does require money, but you can do
quite a bit with the no-charge downloadable version at
www.rrsoftware.com  (Note: Having helped develop CLAW, I'm biased.)

* Re: What is the best Xwindow, window98 program to use frames with ada?
@ 1999-12-08  0:00       ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1999-12-08  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <82l2g8$jtd$1@kimba.whitelion.org>,
  blancolioni@blancolioni.org (Fraser) wrote:
> Happily, you feel wrong in this.  Try GtkAda
(http://gtkada.eu.org),
> which is an Ada binding to Gtk (obviously!), and runs on both
Win32
> and X Windows.  If only there was a MacOS version ...

Well GtkAda is the work of a dedicated group of volunteers, and
is indeed a very nice piece of work (now fully supported by
Ada Core Technologies for its customers). It is all open
sourced free software, so there is no reason why you could
not correct the state of affairs on MacOS. All it takes is
one enthusiastic Mac person to invest the necessary effort,
there is certainly no fundamental reason why it could not
be successfully ported to MacOS.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

* Re: What is the best Xwindow, window98 program to use frames with ada?
@ 1999-12-08  0:00     ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 1999-12-08  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Muller Boris" <bomet@cybercable.fr> writes:

> hehe well thank you to pin point this for me. I will definitely have no
> excuse as how to translate ( in french) frame.

You're welcome.

> <snip>
> For now i've seen that there's win32ada, windex, and Gtkada. Which is the
> best developped one?
> Win32Ada seems the one.

Win32Ada is a thin binding to the Win32 API. So it doesn't take
advantage of any of the power of Ada; it feels like programming in C.

Windex is a thick binding; it gives you windows that take full
advantage of Ada.

GtkAda is a thin binding to Gtk, which in turn is a windowing system
written in C that provides high-level stuff. I'm not very familiar
with it, but I think it still feels like programming in C.

All said, if you really want to do a reasonable project using fancy
windows, in Ada, try GtkAda. If you really want to use the full
power of Ada, and are willing to live with pretty simple windows (or
are willing to add more functionality), use Windex.

On the other hand, if you really insist on portability across Win32
and Linux/X windows, then GtkAda is your only choice (of these three).

You should also consider RAPID
(ftp://ftp.usafa.af.mil/pub/dfcs/carlisle/usafa/rapid/index.html),
which is a GUI generator. It can currently target only TASH, which is
an Ada binding to Tcl/Tk. They're working on a Gtk target; I'm
thinking of adding a Windex target to it.

-- Stephe

* Re: What is the best Xwindow, window98 program to use frames with ada?
@ 1999-12-08  0:00   ` Muller Boris
From: Muller Boris @ 1999-12-08  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

hehe well thank you to pin point this for me. I will definitely have no
excuse as how to translate ( in french) frame.
There are allways huge holes when you learn a language dynamically,and it's
allways good to face and clarify them.

Stephen Leake <Stephen.Leake@gsfc.nasa.gov> a �crit dans le message :
uzovms9dr.fsf@gsfc.nasa.gov...

@ 1999-12-08  0:00   ` David C. Hoos, Sr.
From: David C. Hoos, Sr. @ 1999-12-08  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Or from processor/software architecture where we speak of "stack frames"

@ 1999-12-08  0:00 Carlisle, Martin
From: Carlisle, Martin @ 1999-12-08  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

There are several possibilities for a GUI for Ada for both Linux and
Windows.

#1) TASH (http://tash.calspan.com) -- uses Ada binding to Tcl/Tk
(http://www.scriptics.com)
#2) GtkAda (http://gtkada.eu.org) -- Ada binding to Gtk+ (GIMP toolkit).
See http://www.gtk.org for more info
#3) Java Virtual Machine (Intermetrics has an Ada to Java byte code
compiler.  Last I heard it was fairly out of date).  JGNAT (from ACT), is to
my experience quite a good product, but hasn't been released publicly yet.

Comparison:
Tcl/Tk is in my experience more stable on Win 32 than Gtk; however, Gtk has
better widgets.  GtkAda comes with a GUI builder (GLADE).  A GUI builder for
TASH, RAPID, (which also has a Gtk port in progess, and a completed JGNAT
port) is at http://wuarchive.wustl.edu/languages/ada/usafa/rapid/index.html.
Advantage of RAPID is that it is specifically an Ada product with the
ability to switch between graphics libraries, disadvantage is that it
doesn't fully utilize any one library.

I would STRONGLY recommend against using Win32Ada.  It very much ties you to
Windows, and requires you to code in a very C like fashion.  (Having written
AdaGIDE with Win32Ada, I have lots of experience, and hope to get rid of the
dependence some day).  You might also consider CLAW
(http://www.rrsoftware.com) if you want a nice Ada Windows-only binding.

Good books:
Graphical Applications with Tcl & Tk (Foster-Johnson, M&T Books)
Developing Linux Applications with GTK+ and GDK (Harlow, New Riders)
Win32 Programming Bible (Vol 1 & 2) (Simon, Waite Group Press)

--Martin

PS.  WARNING:  As the author of this post is also the author of RAPID, his
opinions may be biased :-)

uzovms9dr.fsf@gsfc.nasa.gov...

@ 1999-12-11  0:00         ` Fraser
From: Fraser @ 1999-12-11  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

paene lacrimavi postquam Robert Dewar <robert_dewar@my-deja.com> scripsit:

>Well GtkAda is the work of a dedicated group of volunteers, and
>is indeed a very nice piece of work (now fully supported by
>Ada Core Technologies for its customers). It is all open
>sourced free software, so there is no reason why you could
>not correct the state of affairs on MacOS. All it takes is
>one enthusiastic Mac person to invest the necessary effort,
>there is certainly no fundamental reason why it could not
>be successfully ported to MacOS.

Yeah, I know.  My post was really a vague fish -- I'd like to be able to
compile GtkAda stuff on my iBook [1] and my knowledge of the MacOS API is
somewhere in the region of zero.  Porting Gtk would have some interesting
challenges: the menu paradigm, to take an obvious example, is completely
different, and it would be nice to have Gtk applications on the Mac
looking like, well, like Mac applications.

Fraser.

[1] An astoundingly good-looking computer, which I highly recommend to
anybody who wants to be both stylish and productive.  The right clothes
help of course.

--
fraser 'at' whitelion 'dot' org