* Interfacing to an SQL database
@ 1999-12-03  0:00 Giuseppe Fiusco
From: Giuseppe Fiusco @ 1999-12-03  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am currently working on a project which has been mandated as Ada by
the client. As part of the development we are undertaking we would like
to interface to a database engine like Oracle or SQL Server. One of the
tools we are using has an ODBC interface, however the only mechanism I
have found to allow the Ada to interface with a database is as "SAMeDL".
Various searches of the WEB have resulted in nothing else!

Does anyone out there know of any other mechanisms - perhaps a bunch of
Query type classes etc that are available or any other products from the
Database vendors that I would be able to integrate into our Ada
development. I am sure people have wanted to do this type of thing
before.

Giuseppe Fiusco
RLM Systems.

* Re: Interfacing to an SQL database
@ 1999-12-03  0:00   ` Ole-Hjalmar Kristensen
From: Ole-Hjalmar Kristensen @ 1999-12-03  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Pascal Obry" <p.obry@der.edf.fr> writes:

> Giuseppe Fiusco <g.fiusco@rlmsystems.com.au> a �crit dans le message :
> 38477502.15538E56@rlmsystems.com.au...
> > I am currently working on a project which has been mandated as Ada by
> > the client. As part of the development we are undertaking we would like
> > to interface to a database engine like Oracle or SQL Server. One of the
> > tools we are using has an ODBC interface, however the only mechanism I
> > have found to allow the Ada to interface with a database is as "SAMeDL".
> > Various searches of the WEB have resulted in nothing else!
> >

> Since you talk about SQL Server I assume that you are under Windows.
>
> If it is the case then you can definitly use ODBC to access your database.
> Have a look at the Database binding on my homepage. I've sucessfuly used
> this "sample" binding for a project. As you can download the sources you'll
> will be able to add the missing features and contribute them back to the
> Ada community :-)
>
> A direct access :
> http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/pascal_obry/contrib.html
>
> Look there for ODBC.
>
> Pascal.
>
> --
>
> --|------------------------------------------------------------
> --| Pascal Obry                               Team-Ada Member |
> --|                                                           |
> --| EDF-DER-IPN-SID- T T I                                    |
> --|                       Intranet: http://cln46gb            |
> --| Bureau N-023            e-mail: pascal.obry@edf.fr        |
> --| 1 Av G�n�ral de Gaulle  voice : +33-1-47.65.50.91         |
> --| 92141 Clamart CEDEX     fax   : +33-1-47.65.50.07         |
> --| FRANCE                                                    |
> --|------------------------------------------------------------
> --|
> --|   http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/pascal_obry
> --|
> --|   "The best way to travel is by means of imagination"

Check if your DBMS vendor has "Embedded SQL" for Ada available.

--
E pluribus Unix

* Re: Interfacing to an SQL database
@ 1999-12-03  0:00 ` Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 1999-12-03  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1999-12-03  0:00 ` Robert I. Eachus
From: Robert I. Eachus @ 1999-12-03  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Giuseppe Fiusco wrote:

> Does anyone out there know of any other mechanisms - perhaps a bunch of
> Query type classes etc that are available or any other products from the
> Database vendors that I would be able to integrate into our Ada
> development. I am sure people have wanted to do this type of thing
> before.

   The reason you probably haven't found any Ada/ODBC bindings is that
they are too easy to create, but tend to be hardware and specific to
avoid inefficiency.
(Translation: On a PC, you are quite willing to use the local character
set instead of Latin-1, etc.)

   I really recommend doing it this way because what you learn about
ODBC in the
few hours it takes is worth the effort.  If you want an automatically
generated binding that is another possibility...

--

                                        Robert I. Eachus

with Standard_Disclaimer;
use  Standard_Disclaimer;

* Re: Interfacing to an SQL database
@ 1999-12-05  0:00 ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 1999-12-05  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

You can go with Microsoft ADO (Active Data Objects) their ODBC replacement
using COM bindings for Ada. See http://www.adapower.com/com

David Botton