From: Tucker Taft <stt@averstar.com>
Subject: Re: Generic abstracts
Date: 1999/11/30
Date: 1999-11-30T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Robert A Duff wrote:

> Tucker Taft <stt@averstar.com> writes:
>
> > However, at the moment only "overloadable" things (i.e. subprograms
> > and enumerals) are inheritable, and that has some nice properties.
>
> I don't see the connection between overloadable and inheritable.

By restricting inheritance to overloadable things, you don't get
collisions when you have two derived types in the same scope, since
overloadables won't hide each other unless they have identical
types, which can't happen when defining a new derived type.

> By the way, I have wanted to write overloaded generic functions in the
> past...

I can't help you with that today ;-).

--
-Tucker Taft   stt@averstar.com   http://www.averstar.com/~stt/