* ASSET's New Catalog Listings (14-OCT-94)
@ 1994-10-18 18:41 info
From: info @ 1994-10-18 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

	The STARS ASSET Reuse Library has recently added the following
new assets or new versions of existing assets.  You need to have an
account with ASSET in order to access these new documents and
software.  More information about ASSET, acquiring an account, and a
hyper-text catalog of our holdings can be found at the URL
"http://source.asset.com/".  Information can also be obtained by
sending email to "info@source.asset.com", FAXing to (304) 594-3951, or
calling (304)-594-3954.

                      ASSET's New Catalog Listings
                      =============================
added:

Asset ID       Title
-------------- ------------------------------------------------------------
ASSET_R_730    ASCII Bridge (Reference)
ASSET_A_729    ASSET Catalog - Published
ASSET_R_741    AdaFlow (Reference)
ASSET_R_758    Alpha Forum (Reference)
ASSET_R_675    ChartBuilder (Reference)
ASSET_R_731    CoCoPro (Reference)
ASSET_R_676    Code.Print Pro, Programmers printing tool (Reference)
ASSET_R_753    CommTools, A Communications Library (Reference)
ASSET_A_751    DTD FOR MIL-T-38804B Time Compliance Technical Orders (TCTO)
                 Manuals
ASSET_A_742    DTD For MIL-L-8031E (USAF) List of Applicable Publications
                 (LOAP)
ASSET_A_744    DTD For MIL-M-5096E (USAF) Functional Check Flight Procedures
ASSET_A_743    DTD For MIL-M-5096E (USAF) Inspection and Maintenance
                 Requirements
ASSET_A_748    DTD For MIL-M-5096E Checklists for Inspection and Maintenance
ASSET_A_750    DTD For MIL-M-83495 Schematic Diagrams for Organizational
                 Maintenance Manuals
ASSET_A_745    DTD for  MIL-M-5096E (USAF) Functional Flight Checklist
ASSET_A_746    DTD for MIL-M-5096E (USAF) Inspection  Work Card
ASSET_A_747    DTD for MIL-M-5096E (USAF) Inspection Flow Sequence Charts
ASSET_A_749    DTD for MIL-M-83495 Job Guides for Organizational Maintenance
                 of USAF Equipment
ASSET_R_732    DataModeler (Reference)
ASSET_R_755    Escape, The Laser Printer Library (Reference)
ASSET_R_733    FastTask (Reference)
ASSET_R_759    FoxTalk (Reference)
ASSET_R_734    FreeFlow (Reference)
ASSET_R_677    Graphics Server SDK (Reference)
ASSET_R_756    NetLib, Networking Library (Reference)
ASSET_A_752    Object Oriented Designer (OOD)
ASSET_R_737    Object Oriented Starter Kit (Reference)
ASSET_R_735    ObjectModeler (Reference)
ASSET_R_736    Overview of Object-Oriented Analysis and Design Methods
                 (Reference)
ASSET_R_738    PowerPDL(Reference)
ASSET_R_678    RaSQL/B, A Btrieve Library (Reference)
ASSET_R_679    RaSQL/X, A NetWare SQL Library (Reference)
ASSET_R_760    Reference Clipper (Reference)
ASSET_R_763    Reuse Process Manager (RPM) (Reference)
ASSET_R_761    Smart Access (Reference)
ASSET_R_740    SmartChart (Reference)
ASSET_R_680    Sunshow (Reference)
ASSET_R_757    The Pros Talk Fox 2.5 (Reference)
ASSET_R_762    The Quick Answer (Reference)
ASSET_R_682    Visual Interface Programmers Reference and Source Code Library
                 (Reference)
ASSET_R_681    Visual Interface, A Class Library for Clipper (Reference)
ASSET_R_754    dGE, A Graphics Library (Reference)

* Re: ASSET's New Catalog Listings (14-OCT-94)
@ 1994-10-19 17:21 ` Erik Naggum
From: Erik Naggum @ 1994-10-19 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

[info@source.asset.com]

|   	The STARS ASSET Reuse Library has recently added the following new
|   assets or new versions of existing assets.  You need to have an account
|   with ASSET in order to access these new documents and software.  More
|   information about ASSET, acquiring an account, and a hyper-text catalog
|   of our holdings can be found at the URL "http://source.asset.com/".
|   Information can also be obtained by sending email to
|   "info@source.asset.com", FAXing to (304) 594-3951, or calling
|   (304)-594-3954.

this does not belong in all the newsgroups it has stupidly been posted to.

if the "documents and software" had been freely accessible to all the
people who receive this marketing nonsense, I would not have objected, but
when you abuse the network goodwill to push your products, I sure hope
nobody out there will consider calling you except to yell unpleasant things
at the dweeb who decided to post this.  as is typical with such things,
however, there is no named person to hold responsible for this nonsense,
further indicating that they _know_ they are guilty.

#<Erik>
--
Microsoft is not the answer.  Microsoft is the question.  NO is the answer.

* Re: ASSET's New Catalog Listings (14-OCT-94)
@ 1994-10-19 19:43   ` David Weller
From: David Weller @ 1994-10-19 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <19941019T172107Z.enag@ifi.uio.no>,
Erik Naggum  <SGML@ifi.uio.no> wrote:
>[info@source.asset.com]
>|   	The STARS ASSET Reuse Library has recently added the following new
>|   assets or new versions of existing assets.  You need to have an account
>|   with ASSET in order to access these new documents and software.  More
>|   information about ASSET, acquiring an account, and a hyper-text catalog
>|   of our holdings can be found at the URL "http://source.asset.com/".
>|   Information can also be obtained by sending email to
>|   "info@source.asset.com", FAXing to (304) 594-3951, or calling
>|   (304)-594-3954.
>
>this does not belong in all the newsgroups it has stupidly been posted to.
>if the "documents and software" had been freely accessible to all the
>people who receive this marketing nonsense, I would not have objected, but
>when you abuse the network goodwill to push your products, I sure hope
>nobody out there will consider calling you except to yell unpleasant things
>at the dweeb who decided to post this.  as is typical with such things,
>however, there is no named person to hold responsible for this nonsense,
>further indicating that they _know_ they are guilty.

You spoke too soon, Erik.  ASSET is a free resource.  It's just what
happens when the US government runs a software repository -- they
want to be able to "Carefully" track all access to the system, so
they require you to fetch everything after logging in with an
authorized account.  So, I guess you could say the US government is
guilty :-)

(I'm sure if I've misspoke, somebody from ASSET will correct me).

>--
>Microsoft is not the answer.  Microsoft is the question.  NO is the answer.

The one _correct_ part of your post! :-)

--
Proud (and vocal) member of Team Ada! (and Team OS/2)        ||This is not your
   	      Ada -- Very Cool.  Doesn't Suck.               ||  father's Ada

* Re: ASSET's New Catalog Listings (14-OCT-94)
@ 1994-10-20 13:14   ` Erik Naggum
From: Erik Naggum @ 1994-10-20 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

[info@source.asset.com]

|   The STARS ASSET Reuse Library has recently added the following new
|   assets or new versions of existing assets.  You need to have an account
|   with ASSET in order to access these new documents and software.  More
|   information about ASSET, acquiring an account, and a hyper-text catalog
|   of our holdings can be found at the URL "http://source.asset.com/".
|   Information can also be obtained by sending email to
|   "info@source.asset.com", FAXing to (304) 594-3951, or calling
|   (304)-594-3954.

[Erik Naggum]

|   this does not belong in all the newsgroups it has stupidly been posted to.
|
|   if the "documents and software" had been freely accessible to all the
|   people who receive this marketing nonsense, I would not have objected,
|   but when you abuse the network goodwill to push your products, I sure
|   hope nobody out there will consider calling you except to yell
|   unpleasant things at the dweeb who decided to post this.  as is typical
|   with such things, however, there is no named person to hold responsible
|   for this nonsense, further indicating that they _know_ they are guilty.

strong words backfire forcefully.

I have learned that ASSET's material is available free of charge, but that
they want tight control over access to it (or something), and "you need to
have an account with ASSET", "acquiring an account" and "our holdings" did
not, as I was certain it did, imply commercial operation.  (I still think
those terms quite strongly convey commercial operation, though.)

may I suggest a rewording to more specifically provide the conditions for
getting an account?  also, a name of a real person is always very helpful.

I'm not sure all the newsgroups that receive this have equal use for it,
though.  in the past half-dozen "catalog listings", I have not found much
material specifically useful to comp.text.sgml, anyway.

apologies to ASSET.  I'm sure they do a good job.

#<Erik>
--

@ 1994-10-21 20:54   ` david s. grieve
From: david s. grieve @ 1994-10-21 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <19941019T172107Z.enag@ifi.uio.no>, Erik Naggum <SGML@ifi.uio.no> writes:
|> [info@source.asset.com]
|>
|> |   	The STARS ASSET Reuse Library has recently added the following new
|> |   assets or new versions of existing assets.  You need to have an account
|> |   with ASSET in order to access these new documents and software.  More
|> |   information about ASSET, acquiring an account, and a hyper-text catalog
|> |   of our holdings can be found at the URL "http://source.asset.com/".
|> |   Information can also be obtained by sending email to
|> |   "info@source.asset.com", FAXing to (304) 594-3951, or calling
|> |   (304)-594-3954.
|>
|> this does not belong in all the newsgroups it has stupidly been posted to.
|>
|> if the "documents and software" had been freely accessible to all the
|> people who receive this marketing nonsense, I would not have objected, but
|> when you abuse the network goodwill to push your products, I sure hope
|> nobody out there will consider calling you except to yell unpleasant things
|> at the dweeb who decided to post this.  as is typical with such things,
|> however, there is no named person to hold responsible for this nonsense,
|> further indicating that they _know_ they are guilty.
|>
|> #<Erik>
|> --

Just a quick FYI:
STARS stands for "Software Technology for Adaptable, Reliable Systems"
and is a DARPA (i.e., your tax dollars at work) sponsored program. The
objective of the STARS program is to increase software productivity,
reliability and quality by creating a software engineering enviornment
(both tools and processes) that promote and facilitate software reuse.
The STARS program is a leader in research and development in the area
of megaprogramming and software reuse.

I missed the original post but I don't see any mention of "products"
in the STARS clip. Further, the original post should be of general
interest to developers and software engineers. I think Eric's flame
is misdirected and I hope people _do_ check out what is available in
the STARS ASSET catalog.

By the by, I am in no way affiliated with the STARS program. I am
just familiar with some of their work.

--
David S. Grieve             | dsgrieve@ingr.com
Intergraph Corp.            | 205-730-3142

* Re: ASSET's New Catalog Listings (14-OCT-94)
@ 1994-10-24 10:19     ` David Emery
From: David Emery @ 1994-10-24 10:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

David S. Grieve writes, in response to a posting by Erik Naggum:
>STARS stands for "Software Technology for Adaptable, Reliable Systems"
>and is a DARPA (i.e., your tax dollars at work) sponsored program.

Considering that Erik is from Norway, I don't think that STARS can be
accused of spending HIS tax dollars....

Let's not assume that everyone involved with software, Ada, etc. is a
U.S. taxpayer...

				dave
--
--The preceeding opinions do not necessarily reflect the opinions of
--The MITRE Corporation or its sponsors.