From: dweller@Starbase.NeoSoft.COM (David Weller)
Subject: Re: ASSET's New Catalog Listings (14-OCT-94)
Date: 19 Oct 1994 14:43:22 -0500
Date: 1994-10-19T14:43:22-05:00	[thread overview]

In article <19941019T172107Z.enag@ifi.uio.no>,
Erik Naggum  <SGML@ifi.uio.no> wrote:
>[info@source.asset.com]
>|   	The STARS ASSET Reuse Library has recently added the following new
>|   assets or new versions of existing assets.  You need to have an account
>|   with ASSET in order to access these new documents and software.  More
>|   information about ASSET, acquiring an account, and a hyper-text catalog
>|   of our holdings can be found at the URL "http://source.asset.com/".
>|   Information can also be obtained by sending email to
>|   "info@source.asset.com", FAXing to (304) 594-3951, or calling
>|   (304)-594-3954.
>
>this does not belong in all the newsgroups it has stupidly been posted to.
>if the "documents and software" had been freely accessible to all the
>people who receive this marketing nonsense, I would not have objected, but
>when you abuse the network goodwill to push your products, I sure hope
>nobody out there will consider calling you except to yell unpleasant things
>at the dweeb who decided to post this.  as is typical with such things,
>however, there is no named person to hold responsible for this nonsense,
>further indicating that they _know_ they are guilty.

You spoke too soon, Erik.  ASSET is a free resource.  It's just what
happens when the US government runs a software repository -- they
want to be able to "Carefully" track all access to the system, so
they require you to fetch everything after logging in with an
authorized account.  So, I guess you could say the US government is
guilty :-)

(I'm sure if I've misspoke, somebody from ASSET will correct me).

>--
>Microsoft is not the answer.  Microsoft is the question.  NO is the answer.

The one _correct_ part of your post! :-)

--
Proud (and vocal) member of Team Ada! (and Team OS/2)        ||This is not your
   	      Ada -- Very Cool.  Doesn't Suck.               ||  father's Ada