From: "Matthew Heaney" <matthew_heaney@acm.org>
Subject: Re: Generic package array parameter
Date: 1999/11/23
Date: 1999-11-23T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <Pine.LNX.4.10.9911231052200.6738-100000@lexis.di.fct.unl.pt>
, Mario Amado Alves <maa@di.fct.unl.pt>  wrote:

> (Heaney, perhaps sometime I take the trouble to comment back and show the
> world I am not that stupid.;-)

Many things may at first seem "stupid and ugly," but on closer
inspection it turns out that there is usually a good reason for things
being that way.

I myself made a mistake very similar to yours (although it was many
years ago ;^), like this:

  type RT (D : Positive) is
    record
      Items : array (1 .. D) of Item_Type;
    end record;

This of course is not legal Ada, and my initial reaction was probably
very similar to yours wrt the syntax of generic formal array objects.

In the end, the only way to learn a language is by programming in that
language.

--
Science is, foremost, a method of interrogating reality: proposing
hypotheses that seem true and then testing them -- trying, almost

George Johnson, NY Times, 15 Aug 1999