* Ada computer project HELP
@ 1999-11-18  0:00 amanda_laumb
From: amanda_laumb @ 1999-11-18  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello.  I am trying to write an interactive
hangman program in the Ada language for a Computer
Science class at the University of North Dakota.

My partner and I have gotten stuck and are
wondering if anyone out there could help us at
all.  It has to use strings to hold the word being
guessed and the solution as the user guesses.

We need some suggestions ASAP.

Thanks so much,
Amanda Laumb

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

* Re: Ada computer project HELP
@ 1999-11-18  0:00 ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 1999-11-18  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <8115vj$rub$1@nnrp1.deja.com>,
  amanda_laumb@my-deja.com wrote:
> My partner and I have gotten stuck and are
> wondering if anyone out there could help us at
> all.  It has to use strings to hold the word being
> guessed and the solution as the user guesses.

Is there anything specific about the Ada that is tripping you up? Say
what it is and we'll be happy to help. If you have general
(non-Ada specific) programming questions, your best bet would be to do
to your teacher.

Or is the problem simply that you have to do work and you don't want to?

--
T.E.D.

@ 1999-11-18  0:00   ` amanda_laumb
From: amanda_laumb @ 1999-11-18  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <8118gs$u02$1@nnrp1.deja.com>,
  Ted Dennison <dennison@telepath.com> wrote:
> In article <8115vj$rub$1@nnrp1.deja.com>,
>   amanda_laumb@my-deja.com wrote:
> > My partner and I have gotten stuck and are
> > wondering if anyone out there could help us at
> > all.  It has to use strings to hold the word being
> > guessed and the solution as the user guesses.
>
> Is there anything specific about the Ada that is tripping you up? Say
> what it is and we'll be happy to help. If you have general
> (non-Ada specific) programming questions, your best bet would be to do
> to your teacher.
>
> Or is the problem simply that you have to do work and you don't want
to?

> --
> T.E.D.

NO, we have done work on it already.  We just can't figure out how to
replace the ****** with the letters as the player guesses the word.
that's what we need help with.

@ 1999-11-18  0:00     ` Joe Wisniewski
From: Joe Wisniewski @ 1999-11-18  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <811bsj$r0$1@nnrp1.deja.com>,
  amanda_laumb@my-deja.com wrote:
> In article <8118gs$u02$1@nnrp1.deja.com>,
>   Ted Dennison <dennison@telepath.com> wrote:
> > In article <8115vj$rub$1@nnrp1.deja.com>,
> >   amanda_laumb@my-deja.com wrote:
> > > My partner and I have gotten stuck and are
> > > wondering if anyone out there could help us at
> > > all.  It has to use strings to hold the word being
> > > guessed and the solution as the user guesses.
> >
> > Is there anything specific about the Ada that is tripping you up?
Say
> > what it is and we'll be happy to help. If you have general
> > (non-Ada specific) programming questions, your best bet would be to
do
> > to your teacher.
> >
> > Or is the problem simply that you have to do work and you don't want
> to?
> >
> > --
> > T.E.D.
>
> NO, we have done work on it already.  We just can't figure out how to
> replace the ****** with the letters as the player guesses the word.
> that's what we need help with.
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

OK, I'll try and say this in a couple of differenet ways/

If you were writing this in C, would the project be done?
  If so, tell us the constructs/detailed design artifact that is
  the problem. If not, you haven't designed it yet and is therefore
  not an Ada problem.

Do you have code that is not compiling?
  If so please post.

@ 1999-11-18  0:00     ` Marin Condic
From: Marin Condic @ 1999-11-18  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

amanda_laumb@my-deja.com wrote:

> NO, we have done work on it already.  We just can't figure out how to
> replace the ****** with the letters as the player guesses the word.
> that's what we need help with.

I'll try to help without actually doing the work for you...

Presumably, you have a string which is holding the word to be guessed.
Further, you have read in a character and a position number as the next
guess of the player. You also have a string which contains the "******"
which represents the current guesses. So you simply do something to the
effect of:

Splat_String (Position_Guess) := Guessed_Character ;

Then you redisplay the string and allow the player to continue.

If you need more help than this, try posting some chunk of code that is
causing you trouble. We're pretty helpful around here if you can be specific
enough about what is not working for you.

MDC
--
Marin David Condic
If you hurry you can, for a short time only, still find me at:

Visit my web page at: http://www.mcondic.com/

From: Ted Dennison @ 1999-11-18  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <811bsj$r0$1@nnrp1.deja.com>,
  amanda_laumb@my-deja.com wrote:
> In article <8118gs$u02$1@nnrp1.deja.com>,
> NO, we have done work on it already.  We just can't figure out how to
> replace the ****** with the letters as the player guesses the word.
> that's what we need help with.

Ahh. You you mean in your internal buffers, or on the screen?

If the former, a hint would be to look into the Ada.Strings.* packages.

If the latter, there is no standard package with Ada for moving the
cursor around on the screen. Since this assignment is probably not about
learning cursor manipulation techniqies, I'd suggest you just output
enough newlines to scroll the current contents of the screen off, then
rewrite everything. But what is and is not acceptable and what
techniques your instructor envisioned using to do this would best be
asked of them.

I hope this helps.

--
T.E.D.

@ 1999-11-22  0:00 ` Alfred Hilscher
From: Alfred Hilscher @ 1999-11-22  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

if your problem is the cursor positioning, then it depends on the OS. If
wou have a text based application (instead of a GUI) on Windows or Dos
the you should try to set the cursor position with the ANSI
ESC-sequences.