* Configuring Netscape to read comp.lang.ada
@ 1999-11-17  0:00 Wes Groleau
From: Wes Groleau @ 1999-11-17  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Does anyone know why this happens or how to fix it?

In comp.lang.ada, Netscape shows me no "threads"  In all other
newsgroups (that I've looked at), the messages in a thread are shown
together, with thin lines showing which replies to which.
In comp.lang.ada, they are shown strictly in chronological order, with
no connections.

* Re: Configuring Netscape to read comp.lang.ada
@ 1999-11-17  0:00 ` Tucker Taft
From: Tucker Taft @ 1999-11-17  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wes Groleau

Wes Groleau wrote:

> Does anyone know why this happens or how to fix it?
>
> In comp.lang.ada, Netscape shows me no "threads"  In all other
> newsgroups (that I've looked at), the messages in a thread are shown
> together, with thin lines showing which replies to which.
> In comp.lang.ada, they are shown strictly in chronological order, with
> no connections.

Netscape remembers what order you viewed a newsgroup in last time
you viewed it.  All you need to do is click on the icon just to the
left of the word "Subject" in the line above the news item headers.
Wherever you "click" on that line controls how the news items are
sorted.  If you click on the Date column header, then you get the
behavior you have been getting thus far.  If you click on the
"threading" icon (leftmost column) you get threaded order.

-Tuck

--
-Tucker Taft   stt@averstar.com   http://www.averstar.com/~stt/
Technical Director, Distributed IT Solutions  (www.averstar.com/tools)

* Re: Configuring Netscape to read comp.lang.ada
@ 1999-11-19  0:00 ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1999-11-19  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <3832CCD8.B9504894@ftw.rsc.raytheon.com>,
  Wes Groleau <wwgrol@ftw.rsc.raytheon.com> wrote:
> Does anyone know why this happens or how to fix it?
>
> In comp.lang.ada, Netscape shows me no "threads"  In all other
> newsgroups (that I've looked at), the messages in a thread are
shown
> together, with thin lines showing which replies to which.
> In comp.lang.ada, they are shown strictly in chronological
order, with
> no connections.

I find deja *classic* a very nice way to read CLA, including
nice support for threads. The standard deja interface is
complete junk, the magic URL for deja classic is a secret
that you have to dig to find out :-) I can't easily tell you,
because it got specialized for my account at some point.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

* Re: Configuring Netscape to read comp.lang.ada
@ 1999-11-19  0:00 ` David Gillon
From: David Gillon @ 1999-11-19  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wes Groleau wrote:

> Does anyone know why this happens or how to fix it?
>
> In comp.lang.ada, Netscape shows me no "threads"  In all other
> newsgroups (that I've looked at), the messages in a thread are shown
> together, with thin lines showing which replies to which.
> In comp.lang.ada, they are shown strictly in chronological order, with
> no connections.

(Possibly dependent on version, but...) With c.l.a as the current group,
from the View pulldown menu, select Sort, click on 'By Thread' rather
than 'By Date'.

--

David Gillon

* Re: Configuring Netscape to read comp.lang.ada
@ 1999-11-19  0:00   ` Wes Groleau
From: Wes Groleau @ 1999-11-19  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > Does anyone know why this happens or how to fix it?
> >
> > In comp.lang.ada, Netscape shows me no "threads"  In all other
> > newsgroups (that I've looked at), the messages in a thread are shown
> > together, with thin lines showing which replies to which.
> > In comp.lang.ada, they are shown strictly in chronological order, with
> > no connections.
>
> (Possibly dependent on version, but...) With c.l.a as the current group,
> from the View pulldown menu, select Sort, click on 'By Thread' rather
> than 'By Date'.

Thanks.  By direct e-mail, others pointed out that there is a tiny icon
next to the "subject" field of the header bar which toggles this same
selection between threaded and chronological.  I probably clicked it
accidentally long ago and didn't notice the change till later.

* Re: Configuring Netscape to read comp.lang.ada
@ 1999-11-19  0:00   ` Nick Roberts
From: Nick Roberts @ 1999-11-19  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I think the solution to Wes' problem is simply to: (a) go into the
offending newsgroup; (b) select View | Sort | By Thread.

--
Nick Roberts