From: "John Herro" <john@prousa.net>
Subject: Re: Pageless Text_IO
Date: 1999/11/16
Date: 1999-11-16T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Robert Dewar <robert_dewar@my-deja.com> wrote:
> A form parameter  PAGE_BREAKS => NO  would be a handy
> addition to Text_IO, it would say simply that on input
> new page characters were not treated specially in any
> way, just treated as characters if encountered, and
> on output, New_Page generates such a character but has
> no other effect.
     There's a way to achieve that now.  I've done it, but it's slow and
crude, and it works only on some systems.  (E.g., it works with DOS, but not
with VAX/VMS.)  You can instantiate Sequential_IO for Character, and write
your own version of Get_Line.  This enables you to handle special
characters, like Form Feeds, the same way you handle other characters.  Of
course, it's up to you if you want to keep line and page counts.
- John Herro
You can download a shareware AdaTutor program at
http://members.aol.com/AdaTutor