From: Nick Roberts <nickroberts@callnetuk.com>
Subject: Re: Bugs or Mistakes?
Date: 1999/11/13
Date: 1999-11-13T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

The story of the origin of the term 'bug' (the one that I heard,
anyway), was back in the dark old days when a computer would fill an
entire basement of a block, and have a cooling system like a wind
tunnel. These cooling systems would inevitably develop areas of high
humidity, and being also nice and warm, it was not unknown for such
areas to be colonised by various insectival lifeforms.

Occasionally, it is held, a bug would fall into the circuitry, causing
sporadic anomalous misbehaviour. Naturally, this became the simplest way
to explain any and all incorrect program behaviour to the (then utterly
clueless) management.

Nowadays, nobody is fooled.

I have always liked the following definition from the 'Demon IT Book of
Definitions':

   Debugger: the gentleman who sold you the software in the first
             place.

:-)

--
Nick Roberts