* ADA Development.
@ 1999-11-11  0:00 Adam David Moss
From: Adam David Moss @ 1999-11-11  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

All,

I am a student looking to learn ADA.  Can anyone point me in the direction
of a company that provides students with free ADA development tools for the
NT / Win9x platform?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Adam M.

* Re: ADA Development.
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1999-11-11  0:00 ` Tucker Taft
From: Tucker Taft @ 1999-11-11  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Yes; see http://www.acm.org/sigada/ada_95/tools.html

--
-Tucker Taft   stt@averstar.com   http://www.averstar.com/~stt/
Technical Director, Distributed IT Solutions  (www.averstar.com/tools)

* Re: ADA Development.
@ 1999-11-11  0:00 ` Ted Dennison
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Ted Dennison @ 1999-11-11  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <80f2v2$d2n$1@gxsn.com>,
  "Adam David Moss" <admoss@globalnet.co.uk> wrote:
> I am a student looking to learn ADA.  Can anyone point me in the
> direction of a company that provides students with free ADA
> development tools for the NT / Win9x platform?

OK, first off for all you c.l.a. regulars out there, let's *please* not
go off on another silly tangent about the one true meaning of the word
"free". It should be pertty clear to everyone that this student is
talking about cost and not liberty.

You have two options for Win32-Intel platforms. One is the "Special
Edition" version of Aonix's ObjectAda, which you can download from their
website at http://www.aonix.com . It has a fairly sophisticated GUI IDE.
It is somewhat "crippled" in that it has a limit on the amount of code
that it will compile. But it should be fine for student projects.

The other option is the public edition of Gnat. It can be downloaded
from http://www.gnat.com (click on the "Students Click Here" link). It
is not crippled in any way, unless you count the ad for Ada Core
Technologies that gets spit out by the binder sometimes. But its IDE is
currently a fair bit more primitive. It is also an Open Source product,
if that makes a difference to you.

--
T.E.D.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

* Re: ADA Development.
@ 1999-11-11  0:00 ` Marin Condic
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Marin Condic @ 1999-11-11  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Adam David Moss wrote:

> I am a student looking to learn ADA.  Can anyone point me in the direction
> of a company that provides students with free ADA development tools for the
> NT / Win9x platform?

There are lots of free tools available for the NT/Win9x platform. You can check
the "Links" page from my web page (see .SIG) to find many of them. A couple of
key pages that will be good to get you started are:

ftp://cs.nyu.edu/pub/gnat/        --download the GNAT Ada compiler at no cost.
http://www.adahome.com/    -- good site for tutorials & links to other
resources.
http://www.AdaPower.com/    -- lots of source code, articles and other stuff
http://stad.dsl.nl/~jvandyk/    -- a good location for WinNT/Win9x stuff.

Hope this helps.

MDC
--
Marin David Condic
If you hurry you can, for a short time only, still find me at:

Visit my web page at: http://www.mcondic.com/

* Re: ADA Development.
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1999-11-11  0:00 ` tmoran
From: tmoran @ 1999-11-11  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

>a company that provides students with free ADA development tools for the
  Assuming you mean "free" as in FSF, ACT is the only company, I believe,
but various people have substantial web sites.  www.adapower.com is a
good starting point.
  If you mean "free" as in "costs nothing", many vendors have versions of
various tools available for free download, and most, if not all, of the
FSF-free stuff is also free.  Again, www.adapower.com is a good starting
point.  Some of the Ada textbooks come with a CDROM with a compiler, etc,
but the books are not free.  Walnut Creek has an Ada CDROM for a rather
low price with a lot of good stuff.  I don't know of any vendor who will
promise support of these free tools for free, but most have mailing lists
for their users, who will be happy to help, and of course comp.lang.ada
is also a good source of help.

* Re: ADA Development.
@ 1999-11-11  0:00 ` David Botton
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: David Botton @ 1999-11-11  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

There are two Win32 compilers available:

The full public edition of Gnat 3.12p
(ftp://ftp.cdrom.com/pub/ada/compiler/gnat) and a limited edition of Aonix
Object Ada (http://www.aonix.com/Products/CSDS/ada.download.html)

For resource on Windows programming see:

http://www.adapower.com/windows (links to articles and many sites on Win32
with Ada)

for COM/DCOM

http://www.adapower.com/com

I would recommend the GNAT compiler as there are real limitations to the
Limited Edition OA version that get in the way of Win32 development using
Ada.

David Botton

>I am a student looking to learn ADA.  Can anyone point me in the direction
>of a company that provides students with free ADA development tools for the
>NT / Win9x platform?

* Re: ADA Development.
@ 1999-11-12  0:00   ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1999-11-12  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <80fcs4$er6$1@nnrp1.deja.com>,
  Ted Dennison <dennison@telepath.com> wrote:
> In article <80f2v2$d2n$1@gxsn.com>,
>   "Adam David Moss" <admoss@globalnet.co.uk> wrote:
> > I am a student looking to learn ADA.  Can anyone point me in
the
> > direction of a company that provides students with free ADA
> > development tools for the NT / Win9x platform?
>
> OK, first off for all you c.l.a. regulars out there, let's
*please* not
> go off on another silly tangent about the one true meaning of
the word
> "free". It should be pertty clear to everyone that this
student is
> talking about cost and not liberty.

Ted, it seems to me that you are starting the tangent with
this post, but in any case, please note that the student
did not use the term Free Software, so no possible confusion
can arise! So don't try to make a problem where none exists.

From: Robert Dewar @ 1999-11-12  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <_JGW3.194$dp.24807@typhoon-sf.snfc21.pbi.net>,
  tmoran@bix.com wrote:
>a company that provides students with free ADA development
> tools for the
> Assuming you mean "free" as in FSF, ACT is the only company, I
> believe,

Now here I must agree with Ted Dennison, this kind of
obfuscation is not helpful. It is 100% clear to anyone
that the student meant that he could not affort to pay!

@ 1999-11-12  0:00     ` Alfred Hilscher
From: Alfred Hilscher @ 1999-11-12  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Not quite right. Look at the posting from "tmoran@bix.com".

@ 1999-11-12  0:00     ` tmoran
From: tmoran @ 1999-11-12  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

> It is 100% clear to anyone that the student meant ...
Things that are 100% clear to me seem often to be taken in ways I
consider bizarre by others, so clearly my "100% clear" detector
is not reliable.

* Re: ADA Development.
@ 1999-11-13  0:00       ` Michel DELARCHE
From: Michel DELARCHE @ 1999-11-13  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

A couple of weeks ago, I've followed with some curiosity the long thread
about "free versus free", and I realise that the terminological debate
is not completely finished yet...

As I'm not a native speaker of your language, I also realise "from the
outside" how frustrating it is to cope with two different (and not
always neatly context-determined) meanings of the same "free" word.

I would suggest to reformulate things so that the economical meaning be
more clearly distinguished from the legal one, e.g. "cheapware" vs.
"libware", since:
1�) someone made it clear that "free" meant in fact "low cost" (since
the medium, mail or download connection cost still exists)
2�) FSF-compliant distribution is about the freedom/liberty of
modification and (re)distribution ?

I guess you could object that "cheap" is not ideal, because it may also
convey a notion of poor quality, but it has the advantage of being
monosyllabic, which is better for a prefix: what about "unexpensiveware"
? :-)

tmoran@bix.com a �crit :

> > It is 100% clear to anyone that the student meant ...
> Things that are 100% clear to me seem often to be taken in ways I
> consider bizarre by others, so clearly my "100% clear" detector
> is not reliable.

* Re: ADA Development.
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1999-11-15  0:00 ` John English
From: John English @ 1999-11-15  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Adam David Moss wrote:
> I am a student looking to learn ADA.  Can anyone point me in the direction
> of a company that provides students with free ADA development tools for the
> NT / Win9x platform?

Have a look at http://burks.bton.ac.uk/burks/language/ada for a
collection of useful stuff (compilers, tutorials, reference material,
example code, assorted development tools...)

 Senior Lecturer           | http://www.it.bton.ac.uk/staff/je
 Dept. of Computing        | ** NON-PROFIT CD FOR CS STUDENTS **
 University of Brighton    |    -- see http://burks.bton.ac.uk