From: Marin Condic <condicma@bogon.pwfl.com>
Subject: Re: The press strikes again...
Date: 1999/11/11
Date: 1999-11-11T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Steve O'Neill wrote:

> "Another problem with replacing all 1553 with Fibre Channel is software
> compatibility, says George Meares, vice president of research and
> development at VMIC.  Currently there are neither Fibre Channel devices
> designed to work with the Ada programming language,, (sic) nor is there any
> interest, he adds."

The dumb part about this statement is that *nobody* designs a device to work
with a programming language. The device just does what it does and you have to
program around that. Do people design communication devices specifically to be
programmed in C? COBOL? Forth?

If what they meant was that nobody has build any commercially available Ada
software to control this device - that's a different issue. But that's just a
matter of funding someone to write the code. (Something we do all the time!)
The statement makes it sound like somehow or other Ada is inadequate for doing
the job.

MDC
--
Marin David Condic
If you hurry you can, for a short time only, still find me at:

Visit my web page at: http://www.mcondic.com/