* Re: Ada source code bindings
@ 1993-07-22 16:32 agate!howland.reston.ans.net!math.ohio-state.edu!cs.utexas.edu!swrinde!ct
From: agate!howland.reston.ans.net!math.ohio-state.edu!cs.utexas.edu!swrinde!ct @ 1993-07-22 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <1993Jul14.110344.6978@wvnvms.wvnet.edu> bgilles@wvnvms.wvnet.edu wr
ites:
>I am interested in finding bindings between
>1.  Ada and Motif
>2.  Ada and SQL
>for which the source code is available.
>Any help would be appreciated.  Please reply to email address.

I have been using the AXI Ada/Motif bindings (bought from Verdix) with
SunAda and have been very happy.  Cost is $2000 from Verdix and the
same from AXI directly.

--
Timothy J. Barton                         tim@trident.datasys.swri.edu
Senior Research Analyst                   (210) 522-3540

* Re: Ada source code bindings
@ 1993-07-26 14:07 Joe Hildebrand
From: Joe Hildebrand @ 1993-07-26 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

cs.utexas.edu!swrinde!ctcvax.ccf.swri.edu!trident!tim@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (Tim
othy J. Barton) said:
   Timothy> In article <1993Jul14.110344.6978@wvnvms.wvnet.edu>
   Timothy> bgilles@wvnvms.wvnet.edu writes:
   > I am interested in finding bindings between 1.  Ada and Motif 2.
   > Ada and SQL for which the source code is available.  Any help
   > would be appreciated.  Please reply to email address.

   Timothy> I have been using the AXI Ada/Motif bindings (bought from
   Timothy> Verdix) with SunAda and have been very happy.  Cost is
   Timothy> $2000 from Verdix and the
   Timothy> same from AXI directly.

I used what was probably a different version than you did (SunAda 1.0,
Motif 1.1.2), and would not reccomend the product.  It had several
bugs that took us days to program circles around.  For example:

Xm.ListGetSelectedItems did not work.
Xt.AppAddWorkProc did not work.
etc.

One of the major gripes I have was stylistic rather than functional.
AXI uses a different data type for the indices of the resource array
and the number of resources passed to Xt.SetArg.  In C you do:

n=0;
XtSetArg(Resources(n), XmNfoo, BAR); n++;
XtSetArg(Resources(n), XmNbaro, FOO); n++;
XtSetValues(myWidget, Resources, n);

But AXI used Cardinal for the indices to Resources, and some other
type of (incompatible) type for the count parameter to XtSetValues, et
al.

I haven't tried either a new version of AXI's bindings, or the SERC
bindings (available from ICS), but I would certainly look around a bit
before deciding on bindings for my next project.

Joe Hildebrand                  Fuentez Systems Concepts
hildjj@fuentez.com              11781 Lee-Jackson Hwy, Suite 700
Software Engineer               Fairfax, VA 22033
                                Phone: (703)273-1447
                                Fax:   (703)273-2972

Standard disclaimers apply