From: Tucker Taft <stt@averstar.com>
Subject: Re: Pragma Comment -- What does it do?
Date: 1999/11/10
Date: 1999-11-10T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Ted Dennison wrote:

> In article <19991110154624.8876.rocketmail@web210.mail.yahoo.com>,
>   comp.lang.ada@ada.eu.org wrote:
> > Does anyone know what do the following pragmas do?
> >
> > 1. Pragma Comment
> > I see it inside some code, and it compiles fine,
> > but it appears nowhere else thereafter.
> > So I wonder, if its just a line inside the source,
> > why dont I just have a comment line -- to begin with?
>
> The language defines no such pragma. Consult your compiler documentation
> to see what they do with it. Since unrecognized pragmas are ignored, its
> quite possible that this is just someone's gooberish way of commenting
> their code. If so, please do change it to a *real* comment.

On some implementations, this has the effect of embedding the
comment in the generated code (e.g. as a static initialized string),
which is sometimes useful for a copyright message, or a revision number
indicator.  Unix programs like "strings" and "what" can be used to
view these messages.

--
-Tucker Taft   stt@averstar.com   http://www.averstar.com/~stt/
Technical Director, Distributed IT Solutions  (www.averstar.com/tools)