* Ada in Railway Controls - looking for information
@ 1999-11-09  0:00 Michael Feldman
From: Michael Feldman @ 1999-11-09  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

It is, by now, fairly well known that much of the software for Paris
Metro Line 14 ("Meteor") is in Ada. This is one example of
"Communication-Based Train Control (CBTC)", developed by a
company called Matra.

There are a number of CBTC products out there, in an industry that
is very aggressive and competitive.

I am trying to discover whether Ada is the (or at least _a_) coding
language in the following CBTC products:

- Alcatel's SELTRAC, used in Vancouver SkyTrain and Docklands
  Light Rail, among others - will be used in San Francisco and
  New York's JFK Airport Light Rail

- Matra's SACEM - the system that preceded Meteor

- Matra's PA 135

Also, what became of ASTREE, the project that was written up at

http://www.adaic.org/docs/flyers/train.shtml

which came from the old Rational newsletter.

If you know anything that could help me out here, please reply
by e-mail to mfeldman@seas.gwu.edu. I will, of course, respect
confidentiality.

If anyone is interested in CBTC, a good website is at

http://www.tsd.org/communic

Among other things, you can read about the current state of things
in the New York Subway CBTC project.

Cheers,

Michael Feldman
Michael B. Feldman -  chair, ACM SIGAda Education Working Group
Professor, Department of Computer Science
The George Washington University -  Washington, DC 20052 USA
mfeldman@seas.gwu.edu - 202-994-5919 (voice) - 202-994-4875 (fax)
http://www.seas.gwu.edu/faculty/mfeldman
"Whaddya mean, the Air Traffic Control system won't run
 without a Microsoft browser??!!!"
   -- political cartoon, Washington Post, Jan. 3, 1998
Visit http://www.acm.org/sigada/education or http://www.adapower.com

* Re: Ada in Railway Controls - looking for information
@ 1999-11-10  0:00 ` Philippe Dalleau
From: Philippe Dalleau @ 1999-11-10  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Feldman

Hello,

I suggest you to post your message in the newsgroup fr.comp.lang.ada
because the companies you mentioned are simply French companies.
These companies have their websites, thus making easier, maybe,
e-contacts.
* Alstom (http://www.alstom.com) formely known as Alcatel-Alsthom uses
Ada on the TGV.
* Matra Transport International now a German-French (Siemens +
Lagardere) company (http://www.matra-transport.fr), formely kwown as
Matra Transport a subsidiary of Lagardere uses also Ada intensively

--
Philippe Dalleau

Visit the websites of my company :
http://www.aeromatra.com