From: "Matthew Heaney" <matthew_heaney@acm.org>
Subject: Re: null record extension mechanism
Date: 1999/11/10
Date: 1999-11-10T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <38295873.990923A1@interact.net.au> , G
<Dizzy@interact.net.au>  wrote:

>   The whole point of having an [abstract][tagged][null][record] is
> so that it can be extended.  Is that correct ?

That's the point of tagged types.  A tagged null record just happens not
to have any components; it's like counting by starting at zero.

> It can not itself be
> instantiated, but derivations of it can.

That's what an abstract tagged type is.  You'd typically declare a
tagged type as abstract because you have an abstract operation.

> So, it appears that one of the major activities programmers (in this language)
> undergo is the careful sculpturing/engineering of types. (?)

Yes.  That's the essence of object-oriented programming: programming
with abstractions, implemented as types.

> I guess that at some undetermined time in the future, the "penny will drop"
> and I will no longer be stumbling in the darkness with this.

That's exactly right.  Just keep doing it, and you'll learn it.

> Is there any useful online information about strategies for doing this design
> work ?

Do an online search for "object-oriented programming," and see what
drops out.  There's a web-site, called Cetis-Links or something like
that, that has all the OO technology stuff you could ever want.

Matt

--
Why stop at evolution and cosmology, though? Let's make sure that the
schoolkids of Kansas get a really first-rate education by loosening up

John Rennie, Scientific American, Oct 1999