From: "Steve Mossom" <stephen.mossom@gecm.com>
Subject: Re: 3-bit array porting problem from ADA83 to GreenHills ADA95
Date: 1999/11/09
Date: 1999-11-09T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

I haven't delt with your particular problem, however I have been working on
a project porting some legacy code from XD Ada'83  to GreenHills ADA Multi.
We have had numerous (too many to mention!) problems with the way the
compiler handles representation clauses. It seems, from what I have read,
that the ADA'95 LRM makes 'recommendations' to compiler vendors regarding
their implementation in this area it does not really enforce any rules
(quite rightly as it should not be implementation specific) . GreenHills
response to my problems was good to a point - If the problem was allready
fixed in a later issue of the compiler they would ship that to us. More
recently, for issues which are not allready fixed in a later version, we
have been told 'The LRM does not enforce that'  and been given workarounds
for our problems using 'unchecked conversion' which is not the most
desirable way of doing things.