From: Tucker Taft <stt@averstar.com>
Subject: Re: CPU recommendations from an Ada perspective?
Date: 1999/11/05
Date: 1999-11-05T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Mike Silva wrote:

> I'm reluctant to ask this question because it's so vague at this point, but
> my curiosity has won out.  I'd like to hear any recommendations for (or
> against) those 32 bit CPU families which are supported by good Ada tools.
> The project would be a large engine controller, with control loops running
> at 5 mS, 20 mS and 2 sec (don't yet know the details on the calculations
> involved).  Rough industrial setting (temperature extremes, electrical
> noise, etc).  We'd probably by COTS hardware, but that's not entirely
> decided.  Any opinions / experiences?

The PowerPC seems to have the most support from almost every
Ada vendor these days.  It has pretty much taken the place of
the 68K as the premier 32-bit CPU family for embedded development.
That seems to be true whether you are programming in C, C++, or Ada.

--
-Tucker Taft   stt@averstar.com   http://www.averstar.com/~stt/
Technical Director, Distributed IT Solutions  (www.averstar.com/tools)