* Re: comp.lang.ada mail feed is down
@ 1999-11-02  0:00   ` bill
From: bill @ 1999-11-02  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <381F2210.14DA9EC5@pwfl.com>, Marin says...

>while back, I made enough noise with my boss about how access to the
>newsgroup is profitable to the company, saves us time, etc. etc. etc.

for only $15 a year, you can get access to all newsgroups directly
from your browser (no newsgroup server needed) by using http://www.newsguy.com

it is more than worth it.

bill

* comp.lang.ada mail feed is down
@ 1999-11-02  0:00 Duncan Sands
From: Duncan Sands @ 1999-11-02  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I can't usually access news groups directly, so some time ago I
subscribed
to comp.lang.ada via the mail feed run by listserv@vm1.nodak.edu, as
described on the page http://www.adahome.com/Network/Info-Ada.html
However, for some months now I have been receiving about one mailing
a month from comp.lang.ada.  In other words the mail feed is not working

correctly.

I wrote to the list-master about this, and, if I remember right (I don't
have
the email here), the reply was that there may indeed be a problem and
that
comp.lang.ada would do well to move to a different mail server due to
policy changes at vm1.nodak.edu.

Does anyone know anything about the source of this problem, or
have any ideas about how to deal with it?

Best wishes,

Duncan Sands.

PS: I will arrange to read the news group directly for the next couple
of
days, in the hope of getting some replies!

* Re: comp.lang.ada mail feed is down
@ 1999-11-02  0:00 ` Marin David Condic
From: Marin David Condic @ 1999-11-02  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Duncan Sands

Duncan Sands wrote:

> I can't usually access news groups directly, so some time ago I
> subscribed
> to comp.lang.ada via the mail feed run by listserv@vm1.nodak.edu, as

The list server has been horribly unreliable for a long time now. The
problem doesn't seem to belong to any specific individual and since nobody
wants to claim "ownership" of the mailing list, it is not likely to be
fixed.

I'd suggest that you find a way to get regular access to the newsgroup via a
reliable newsreader. When the list server started going haywire on me a
while back, I made enough noise with my boss about how access to the
newsgroup is profitable to the company, saves us time, etc. etc. etc. and
the Internet Gestapo here relaxed the rules and found a way to let us have
access to the newsgroup. Try making a similar arguement and maybe your
company will provide newsreader access.

MDC
--
Marin David Condic
For a short time yet, still to be found at........

Visit my web page at: http://www.mcondic.com/

* Re: comp.lang.ada mail feed is down
@ 1999-11-03  0:00     ` Marin Condic
From: Marin Condic @ 1999-11-03  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

bill@nospam wrote:

> for only $15 a year, you can get access to all newsgroups directly
> from your browser (no newsgroup server needed) by using http://www.newsguy.com
>
> it is more than worth it.

In my particular case, the issue was never one of money. More a matter of fear on
the part of the powers-that-be that letting everyone have free (as in "free
speech" for the word scientists debating the matter in other threads ;-) access to
the internet would result in colapse of the stock value, immoral conduct and the
end of civilization as we know it.

As for the cost of getting newsgroup access (at least in the U.S.A.) most ISPs
will provide you with a feed via Netscape just as a normal part of the service. My
home link-up costs about $20 a month and the phone hookup is a local call, so I
don't see price as a major issue. I'm wondering if the cost is dramatically higher
in other parts of the world?

MDC
--
Marin David Condic
If you hurry, you can still reach me at.....

@ 1999-11-05  0:00       ` Jerry van Dijk
From: Jerry van Dijk @ 1999-11-05  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <3820A92D.BEA5F2A9@pwfl.com> condicma@pwflcom writes:

>As for the cost of getting newsgroup access (at least in the U.S.A.) most ISPs
>will provide you with a feed via Netscape just as a normal part of the service.> My
>home link-up costs about $20 a month and the phone hookup is a local call, so I
>don't see price as a major issue. I'm wondering if the cost is dramatically> higher
>in other parts of the world?

Here in europe (I use a dialup connections both in France and in the
Netherlands) the cost of using the internet is not the ISP, its the
phone connection.

On average (mixing business and non-business hours) I pay about $5.50 per
hour for a local connection. That add's up pretty quick...

--  Jerry van Dijk  | email: jdijk@acm.org
--  Team-Ada        | www:   stad.dsl.nl/~jvandyk
--  Paris, France   | Leiden, Holland

* Re: comp.lang.ada mail feed is down
@ 1999-11-05  0:00         ` Duncan Sands
From: Duncan Sands @ 1999-11-05  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Here in France the main cost is also the phone bill (even local calls are
charged according to how long the call lasts).  One nice feature of the
mail feed was that it would send you a digest (one long message)
rather than millions of seperate emails (making it easy to delete
the whole thing with one keystroke!).

Anyway, it seems to me that it would be good to either:
(1) fix the mail feed so that it works, or
(2) get rid of it altogether.

Who has the authority to get rid of it?

I don't know what it takes to set up a new mail feed,
perhaps someone else does?

Ciao,

Duncan.

* Re: comp.lang.ada mail feed is down
@ 1999-11-05  0:00           ` Lutz Donnerhacke
From: Lutz Donnerhacke @ 1999-11-05  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Duncan Sands wrote:
>I don't know what it takes to set up a new mail feed,
>perhaps someone else does?

Its easy to get a free specialized UUCP/NNTP over TCP/IP feed from me. (I do
not won't to repeat this offer to often by email. F'up)

* Re: comp.lang.ada mail feed is down
@ 1999-11-05  0:00             ` Duncan Sands
From: Duncan Sands @ 1999-11-05  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Samuel Tardieu wrote:

> ...I just setup a new mail feed for comp.lang.ada. Information can be
> found on

Thanks a lot Sam.  I will see if I can persuade the nodak.edu people to
turn off their dead list.  Perhaps people who try to subscribe to it can

be directed to your list.

Duncan.

PS: I use your Debian packages - they are also great!

* Re: comp.lang.ada mail feed is down
@ 1999-11-05  0:00           ` Samuel Tardieu
From: Samuel Tardieu @ 1999-11-05  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Duncan> I don't know what it takes to set up a new mail feed, perhaps
Duncan> someone else does?

I just setup a new mail feed for comp.lang.ada. Information can be
found on

If you subscribe to this list, you will get all the posts as
mails. You can choose from the WWW page whether you want to receive
digests (once a day or when 30KB are reached, whatever comes first).

Mail sent to comp.lang.ada@ada.eu.org from subscribers to this list
will be redirected to the newsgroup.

This is an experimental service. Please let me know if anything goes
wrong.

  Sam
--
Samuel Tardieu -- sam@ada.eu.org

From: Samuel Tardieu @ 1999-11-05  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

| Thanks a lot Sam.  I will see if I can persuade the nodak.edu people to
| turn off their dead list.  Perhaps people who try to subscribe to it can
| be directed to your list.

That's a good idea. Moreover, it looks like it works as I received your post
through the gateway. If you get this one, it works in both directions :)