* Hard data on C/C++ -vs- Ada
@ 1994-10-17 23:56 TOM
From: TOM @ 1994-10-17 23:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Does anybody have some hard C or C++ -vs- Ada programming data?  Something
like:

    Develop a system in Ada or C given the same system specification:

    Then keep the following data:

    How long did it take to design (preliminary and detailed)?
    How long did it take to Code?
    How many reviews were done?  (design/code)
    How long did it take to unit test?
    How long did it take to integration test?
    How long did it take to formal qualification test?

    I would really like to do some comparisons if I can, if not maybe I'll
    do my own experiment and see what the results are.  (I'd really prefer
    someone else's data)

   /   /   /\     ----      Todd A Sorensen    (505) 828-5611
  /   /   /  \   /          tsorense@dasd.honeywell.com
 /   /   /   /   ---        tas@dasd.honeywell.com
/   /   /   /      /
----   ----     ---         [Now a "dronie"]

* Re: Hard data on C/C++ -vs- Ada
@ 1994-10-18 22:55 ` Dale Stanbrough
From: Dale Stanbrough @ 1994-10-18 22:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Subject: Hard data on C/C++ -vs- Ada
From: TOM, tsorense@delphi.dasd.honeywell.com
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 1994 23:56:11 GMT
In article <1994Oct17.165611.1@delphi.dasd.honeywell.com> TOM,
tsorense@delphi.dasd.honeywell.com writes:
>Does anybody have some hard C or C++ -vs- Ada programming data?  Something
>like:
>
>    Develop a system in Ada or C given the same system specification:
>
>    Then keep the following data:
>
>    How long did it take to design (preliminary and detailed)?
>    How long did it take to Code?
>    How many reviews were done?  (design/code)
>    How long did it take to unit test?
>    How long did it take to integration test?
>    How long did it take to formal qualification test?
>
>    I would really like to do some comparisons if I can, if not maybe I'll
>    do my own experiment and see what the results are.  (I'd really prefer
>    someone else's data)

Perhaps it would also be appropriate to include...

	Develop a change in spec, give the code to a new group, get them
	to implement the change, and test all of these all over again.

I fear your tests are only examining one part of the life cycle.

Dale
Dale Stanbrough, RMIT, Melbourne, Australia, dale@rmit.edu.au
GNU Ada 94 (GNAT) => the best $0 you'll ever spend.
Available for DOS, Linux, OS/2, Sun Sparc, Sun Solaris, ...
Coming to a GNU supported platform near you soon...