From: Tucker Taft <stt@averstar.com>
Subject: Re: what does preelaborated package mean?
Date: 1999/10/26
Date: 1999-10-26T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Matthew Heaney wrote:

> In article <7v3m2n$2cpo@drn.newsguy.com> , mitch@nospam  wrote:
>
> > what exactly does this mean? I know what elaboration means, which is
> > done at run time. So, a package that is 'preelaborated', when does
> > this happen? and if this is a good thing, why not do everything like
> > that?
>
> Basically, it means that you can't do any initialization of local
> objects.

You can't do any *dynamic* initialization.
You can do static initialization.  As a rough equivalent, you
can do the kind of static initialization legal in "C" code, where
there is no run-time elaboration, though there is link-time
initialization of constants and variables.

The goal of "preelaboration" is to eliminate the need to execute
a run-time elaboration routine for the specified package, and rely
strictly on the kind of initialization that most linkers/loaders can
perform.

--
-Tucker Taft   stt@averstar.com   http://www.averstar.com/~stt/
Technical Director, Distributed IT Solutions  (www.averstar.com/tools)