From: Geoff Bull <geoff@research.canon.com.au>
Subject: Re: Combinding Ada and Java?
Date: 1999/10/26
Date: 1999-10-26T00:18:46+00:00	[thread overview]

Ted Dennison wrote:

> In article <3813B6FC.C3590215@research.canon.com.au>,
>   Geoff Bull <geoff@research.canon.com.au> wrote:
> > I don't know of a binding generator similar to AdaJNI.
>
> If someone wanted to make one, the Java syntax that comes with OpenToken
> ( http://www.telepath.com/dennison/Ted/OpenToken/OpenToken.html ) would
> get you at least halfway there.

I played 'round with a generator for bindings to
Java classes until:

1. I found out about Ainsley Software's AdaJNI.

2. I did everything I needed with raw JNI using Cafe1815,
   so I no longer had a need for it (beyond satisying my
   own curiosity)

3. I was concerned about the legalities of generating
   a binding using Sun's sources (there is still not
   a free Swing - which was my main interest)

The approach I took was a custom doclet for Javadoc.
This provided me with a known good Java parser.

The only drawback I found in using javadoc was that
the code was written in Java. It would, of course,
be possible to hand build a binding to the doclet
classes so that the doclet could be written in Ada.

I still had some hard problems to overcome, but
if  anybody is interested in seeing what I did,
mail me at:
gbull@acenet.com.au