* Re: Airlines trust only C++ for flights !
       [not found]   ` <7udhgj$jn3@chronicle.concentric.net>
@ 1999-10-17  0:00     ` Joe Wisniewski
From: Joe Wisniewski @ 1999-10-17  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hmmmm,

Well maybe my ol' HI buddies can chime in on this one.
First off, it was the 777 that was the first real big Honeywell
avionics Ada project. Did Delta buy any 777's? Not sure.
There were some other projects post-777 that were done in
Ada, I believe; that were 777-spin-offs. Certainly the 777
AIMS cabinet (Ada) is being supported. As far as new development
goes, just not sure.

The real issue with Honeywell and Ada as far as new development goes
with/for customers,  right now
is the merger/buy-out/whatever with Allied Signal. Before/or at least
during the merger
takes place, the two big Honeywill avionics divisions in Phoenix are
merging.
One does/did Ada for the "big" customers, the other division,
BCAS, NEVER did any Ada. All C/C++/PLM. Those were the smaller
business and commuter customers; Dassault, Gulfstream, etc.
I know that Allied did some Ada and I would suspect that all current Ada
customers would be supported, it is just a question of new work.

Joe

       [not found] <7uak0e$10ov@drn.newsguy.com>
@ 1999-10-18  0:00 ` Andreas Winckler
       [not found] ` <67B6921BFFB4FA9C.194931FC436EA16D.5D69A5DDF8D34C72@lp.airnews.net>
From: Andreas Winckler @ 1999-10-18  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

nabbasi@pacbell.net.NOSPAM schrieb:

> Well, I thought some of the Ada programmers might get a kick
> out of this article. from this week's edition of internet week
> (oct 11,99).
>
> http://www.techweb.com/se/directlink.cgi?INW19991011S0001
>
> "Java lift off at Delta.
>  But airlines trusts only C++ for flight systems.
>
> by Robin Schreier hohman

Interesting article, I'll keep it in mind for the next time I'll book a
flight.

;-)

AW
Andreas Winckler
Dipl.-Ing.
Software engineering
FREQUENTIS Network Systems GmbH
Tel: (+49) (7541) 282 - 462  Fax: (+49) (7541) 282 - 299
http://www.frqnet.de

* Re: Airlines trust only C++ for flights !
       [not found]   ` <380a44f8.2781908@news.fiam.net>
@ 1999-10-24  0:00     ` Matthew Heaney
From: Matthew Heaney @ 1999-10-24  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <380a44f8.2781908@news.fiam.net> , wv@fiam.net (Wil) wrote:

> Ada is great for controlling the 200 M YF22. But not suitable for
> writing an OS desktop. Prove me wrong!

Provide a list of specific reasons why you think Ada is not suitable
"for writing an OS desktop" (not sure what that means), and then we can
discuss the items in your list.