* Combinding Ada and Java?
@ 1999-10-22  0:00 Ulf Eliasson
From: Ulf Eliasson @ 1999-10-22  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Helo
I'm a grade student making my thesis and would like some help.
Does anybody know how to use Java components (Swing) from an existing
Ada system? The aim is to embed the Java parts into the Ada executable
so that the Java methods can be accesed directly from Ada without having
to use socket communication (or equivalent). I have been trying to use
the evaluaton version of AdaJNI from Ainslie-software without succes so
far. AdaJNI is supposed to create Ada bindings to any Java class file.
Has anybody used this tool and know how to make it work, or if any
similar tool exists? My idea was to create the GUI for the application
with some Java GUI builder tool on WinNT, create the Ada bindings, move
code and class files to AIX and compile it with the existing Ada system.

I would be glad to receive any comments on Ada-Java integration!

/Ulf Eliasson

* Re: Combinding Ada and Java?
@ 1999-10-22  0:00 ` Pascal MALAISE
From: Pascal MALAISE @ 1999-10-22  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

http://www.adahome.com/Tutorials/Lovelace/lovelace.html is a good start
--
Pascal MALAISE
(priv) mailto:malaise@magic.fr

* Re: Combinding Ada and Java?
@ 1999-10-25  0:00   ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 1999-10-25  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <3813B6FC.C3590215@research.canon.com.au>,
  Geoff Bull <geoff@research.canon.com.au> wrote:
> Ulf Eliasson wrote:
>
> I don't know of a binding generator similar to AdaJNI.

If someone wanted to make one, the Java syntax that comes with OpenToken
( http://www.telepath.com/dennison/Ted/OpenToken/OpenToken.html ) would
get you at least halfway there.

--
T.E.D.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

* Re: Combinding Ada and Java?
@ 1999-10-25  0:00 ` Geoff Bull
From: Geoff Bull @ 1999-10-25  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ulf Eliasson

Ulf Eliasson wrote:

> I would be glad to receive any comments on Ada-Java integration!

Have a look at the Cafe1815 binding to JNI at
http://www.acenet.com.au/~gbull.
Included is an example of Ada talking to a Swing gui.

I just noticed, the link to the .gz file is broken.
You can use jar (included with jdk), if necessary,
to unpack the .zip file.

I don't know of a binding generator similar to AdaJNI.

Cheers
Geoff

* Re: Combinding Ada and Java?
@ 1999-10-26  0:00       ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 1999-10-26  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <3814F37D.7032C1D4@research.canon.com.au>,
  Geoff Bull <geoff@research.canon.com.au> wrote:

> I played 'round with a generator for bindings to
> Java classes until:
> 3. I was concerned about the legalities of generating
>    a binding using Sun's sources (there is still not
>    a free Swing - which was my main interest)

Generating a binding shouldn't be a problem. They have to allow you to
compile their source, or you can't use it with Java either!
*Distributing* those bindings might be a problem. But if you can rig up
a generator that can do the job w/o human intervention, you should be
able to get around that problem by just distributing the generator and a
makefile.

--

@ 1999-10-26  0:00     ` Geoff Bull
From: Geoff Bull @ 1999-10-26  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ted Dennison wrote:

> In article <3813B6FC.C3590215@research.canon.com.au>,
>   Geoff Bull <geoff@research.canon.com.au> wrote:
> > I don't know of a binding generator similar to AdaJNI.
>
> If someone wanted to make one, the Java syntax that comes with OpenToken
> ( http://www.telepath.com/dennison/Ted/OpenToken/OpenToken.html ) would
> get you at least halfway there.

I played 'round with a generator for bindings to
Java classes until:

1. I found out about Ainsley Software's AdaJNI.

2. I did everything I needed with raw JNI using Cafe1815,
   so I no longer had a need for it (beyond satisying my
   own curiosity)

3. I was concerned about the legalities of generating
   a binding using Sun's sources (there is still not
   a free Swing - which was my main interest)

The approach I took was a custom doclet for Javadoc.
This provided me with a known good Java parser.

The only drawback I found in using javadoc was that
the code was written in Java. It would, of course,
be possible to hand build a binding to the doclet
classes so that the doclet could be written in Ada.

I still had some hard problems to overcome, but
if  anybody is interested in seeing what I did,
mail me at:
gbull@acenet.com.au

* Re: Combinding Ada and Java?
@ 1999-10-26  0:00         ` Thierry Lelegard
From: Thierry Lelegard @ 1999-10-26  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Apart from this discussion, a German company presented
an interesting combination of Ada and Java at SIGAda
last week.

They implemented their core applications in Ada, acting
as CORBA servers and the GUI's in Java applets, acting as
CORBA clients.

The two ORB's were from different vendors, on different
operating systems and they reported that the whole
system went fine.

I find that combination quite elegant. It isolates both
worlds using CORBA as a "glue" which has standardized
bindings (or should I say "mappings") in both languages.

By the way, I found that CORBA is quite attractive in
Ada 95 and quite easy to use (although I did not
experienced it yet). I briefly used CORBA V1 in 1995/96
but with the C mappings and all I remember is a
horrible mess. Another "C vs Ada" argument.
Thierry Lelegard, Paris, France
E-mail: lelegard@club-internet.fr