* 1995 DOD SBIR very barely mentions Ada
@ 1994-10-11 15:46 Gregory Aharonian
From: Gregory Aharonian @ 1994-10-11 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

   Once again, the DoD sends out a clear signal about its apathy towards Ada.
Yes, it is my review of the annual SBIR program solicitation, the 1995 guide
which I just received.  What follows is a list of 42 of the projects for
which software is a significant component, AND AGAIN FOR THE N-TH YEAR IN A
ROW, ADA IS BARELY MENTIONED.  Out of the 42 projects, only one explicitly
mentions Ada (and hilariously so - it is not for software engineering but for
some chemical measuring instrument).  Another proposal explicitly mentions
Fortran, while all the others mention no language, many of which can be done
as easily in Ada as any other language.

   But once again, the DoD blows an opportunity to help promote Ada.  I mean,
the apathy is so great that they didn't even bother to put in a statement for
these projects as weak and limpid as the following:

	"Proposals that use Ada will be viewed more favorably".

Not that the proposals have to use Ada (as if there was a Mandate existing),
or that the proposers know how to spell Ada, but just that the DoD might give
Ada proposals more attention.  Whatever, because of the DoD's apathy to Ada,
like many other SBIRs, this current guide is nearly Ada-free - a clear signal
that the majority of the DoD has no intention of paying attention to the Ada
Mandate.  It is these types of exploratory projects that are allowed to be
done in any language that grow into systems that aren't in Ada.

   Even worse, last year when I pointed this out in the 1994 SBIR, Don Reifer
and many others at DISA tripped all over themselves promising that this would
never happen again, that future SBIRs would include Ada for all relevant
software projects.  Nice lie.

   Talk all you want about how much you all love Ada and the Ada Mandate, but
your actions (or inactions) speak much louder.

Greg Aharonian
                              ====================

            List of software related titles from the 1995 DOD SBIR

	NAVY

Exploiting Chaos for Signal Processing

Automatic Data Fusion Display

Wavelet Techniques for Compression of Acoustics Processing Signals

Virtual Reality

Intelligent Interface for Mission Rehearsal

Automated Feature Extrusion for Photo-real Perspective Scenes

Quick Response Terrain Visualization

Spatial Acoustic Sound for Virtual Environment Applications

Advanced Automatic Test System Resources

Combat System Interface Simulation

Low Light Level Color Imaging with Image Processing

Develop Active/Passive Data Fusion Operator Associate

Radar Simulation for MSDOS

	AIR FORCE

New Chemometric Techniques for Analytical Chemistry and Sensor Data (Ada)

Automated Instructional Environments

C4I Systems/Subsystems

Business Process Reengineering Tools

Innovative C3I Technologies

Signal Processing for Information Enhancement

Multisensor Fusion Processing

AI/Expert System Pre-Processor for Computational Electromagnetics

Large Scale Computing System Failure Effect Analyzer

Event Representation for Advanced Techniques in Information Processing

Information Extraction from Text Through Application of Advanced Techniques

High Performance Intelligent Information Systems

System/Software Quality

Advanced Visualization Techniques for Parallel Software Development

Real-Time Pattern Recognition using Compressed Video

Composite Mission Simulator

Standard Multispectral Environment Represenations within Software Structural
Model Framework

Electronic Design Automation

Modeling and Simulation of MMICs and Interconnects in Microwave Packages

Training Fire Fighters Through Virtual Reality Applications

Engineering Flight Simulator Technologies

Internal Real-Time Distributed Object Management System

Integrated Tools for Technology Assessment and Development Planning

Automated Methodology for Balancing Avionics Requirements and LCC

Model Integration through Intelligent Data Parsing and Management

Efficient Methods for Finite Element Data Storage (Fortran)

Anechoic Chamber Computer Software Model Simulation

Large Volume, High Speed, Data Management Technology

	BMDO

Computer Architecture, Algorithms, and Language

* Re: 1995 DOD SBIR very barely mentions Ada
@ 1994-10-11 20:17 ` Richard Riehle
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Richard Riehle @ 1994-10-11 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <CxIMHA.5F2@world.std.com> srctran@world.std.com (Gregory Aharonian) writes:
>   Once again, the DoD sends out a clear signal about its apathy towards Ada.
>Yes, it is my review of the annual SBIR program solicitation, the 1995 guide
>which I just received.  What follows is a list of 42 of the projects for
>which software is a significant component, AND AGAIN FOR THE N-TH YEAR IN A
>ROW, ADA IS BARELY MENTIONED.

   TWIMC:

    This is one of those rare instances when Greg is 100% correct.

    An Ada preference amendment to the SBIR should be issued immediately
    from someone with the right level of authority in the DoD.

    Is anyone from the OSD/DoD, listening out there?

    Richard Riehle

* Re: 1995 DOD SBIR very barely mentions Ada
@ 1994-10-12  6:49 ` Matt Kennel
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Matt Kennel @ 1994-10-12  6:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gregory Aharonian (srctran@world.std.com) wrote:
:    Once again, the DoD sends out a clear signal about its apathy towards Ada.
: Yes, it is my review of the annual SBIR program solicitation, the 1995 guide
: which I just received.
: What follows is a list of 42 of the projects for
: which software is a significant component, AND AGAIN FOR THE N-TH YEAR IN A
: ROW, ADA IS BARELY MENTIONED.

Remember, Small *Business*.  They are not DOD employees.

:             List of software related titles from the 1995 DOD SBIR
: 	NAVY
: Exploiting Chaos for Signal Processing

Hey! :-)

Often times the desired "goal" of production work is not the program itself,
but the scientific paper.

--
-Matt Kennel  		mbk@inls1.ucsd.edu
-Institute for Nonlinear Science, University of California, San Diego

* 1995 DOD SBIR very barely mentions Aharonian
@ 1994-10-12 14:24 ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 1994-10-12 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

   Once again, the DoD sends out a clear signal about its apathy towards Greg A.
Yes, it is my review of the annual SBIR program solicitation, the 1995 guide
which I just received.  What follows is a list of 42 of the projects for
which incompetence is a significant component, AND AGAIN FOR THE N-TH YEAR IN A
ROW, GREGORY AHARONIAN IS BARELY MENTIONED.  Out of the 42 projects, only one
explicitly mentions Aharonian (and hilariously so - it is not for software
engineering but for some chemical measuring instrument).  Another proposal
explicitly mentions Robert Dewar, while all the others mention no person,
many of which can be done as easily with Greg as any other person.

    But once again, the DoD blows an opportunity to help promote Aharonian.  I
mean, the apathy is so great that they didn't even bother to put in a statement
for these projects as weak and limpid as the following:

 	"Proposals that use Greg Aharonian will be viewed more favorably".

 Not that the proposals have to use Greg (as if there was a Mandate existing),
 or that the proposers know how to spell Aharonian, but just that the DoD might
give Greg Aharonian proposals more attention.  Whatever, because of the DoD's
apathy to Aharonian, like many other SBIRs, this current guide is nearly Greg-free
- a clear signal that the majority of the DoD has no intention of paying attention
to the Aharonian Mandate.  It is these types of exploratory projects that are
allowed to be done with any company that grow into systems that aren't making
money for Greg Aharonian.

   Even worse, last year when I pointed this out in the 1994 SBIR, Don Reifer
and many others at DISA tripped all over themselves promising that this would
never happen again, that future SBIRs would include Greg Aharonian for all relevant
software projects.  Nice lie.

  Talk all you want about how much you all love Gregory Aharonian and the
Aharonian Mandate, but your actions (or inactions) speak much louder.

Ted Dennison
                               ====================

             List of software related titles from the 1995 DOD SBIR

 	NAVY

Exploiting Chaos for Mass Usenet Postings

Automatic Data Fusion Postings

Wavelet Techniques for Compression of Unrelated Postings

Virtual Whining

Intelligent Interface for Unintelligent Comments

Automated Feature Extrusion for Screwed-up Perspective Postings

Quick Response Memo Misunderstanding

Spatial Acoustic Sound for Virtual Complaint Applications

Advanced Automatic Unenet Postings

Low Light Level Color Imaging with Government Memos

Develop Active/Passive Data Fusion Into Usenet Postings

Radar Simulation for Persecution

 	AIR FORCE

New Chemometric Techniques for Analytical Chemistry and Sensor Data
of Morons (Greg Aharonian)

Automated Obstructional Postings

Business Process Reengineering into Usenet Postings

Innovative C3I Technologies

Signal Processing for Information "Enhancement" for Postings

Multisensor Fusion Posting

AI/Expert System Pre-Processor for Generating Usenet Postings

Large Scale Computing System Failure Effect Analyzer

Event Representation for Advanced Techniques in Memo Chastising

Information Extraction from Text Through Application of Advanced Dementia

High Performance Unintelligent Information Postings

Advanced Visualization Techniques for Parallel Usenet Postings

Real-Time Pattern Recognition using Compressed Misunderstandings

Training Fire Fighters Through Usenet Flamewars

Engineering Persecution Technologies

Integrated Tools for Technology Misunderstanding and Development Fowling

Molehill Maximization through Unintelligent Data Parsing and Mismanagement

Alcoholic Chamber Computer Software Model Simulation

Large Volume, High Speed, Data Misunderstanding Technology

* Re: 1995 DOD SBIR very barely mentions Ada
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1994-10-13 16:21 ` Bill Kinnersley
From: Bill Kinnersley @ 1994-10-13 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

:
:    Once again, the DoD sends out a clear signal about its apathy towards Ada.
:
<Yawn>  Apathy just doesn't seem to excite me any more.

--
--Bill Kinnersley
  billk@cs.ukans.edu

* Re: 1995 DOD SBIR very barely mentions Ada
@ 1994-10-13 19:08   ` Robert Firth
From: Robert Firth @ 1994-10-13 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <1994Oct13.112151.74806@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> billk@cs.ukans.edu (Bill Kinnersley) writes:

><Yawn>  Apathy just doesn't seem to excite me any more.

Know what you mean.  I was going to write a long article
about the evils of apathy, but somehow it just doesn't
seem worth the bother.

Oh well, back to the thread on what happens when an
indivisible operation meets an unmaskable interrupt.

* Re: 1995 DOD SBIR very barely mentions
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1994-10-14 14:22 ` ncohen
From: ncohen @ 1994-10-14 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Subject: Re: 1995 DOD SBIR very barely mentions Ada

In article <1994Oct13.150855.11527@sei.cmu.edu>, firth@sei.cmu.edu
(Robert Firth) writes:

|> In article <1994Oct13.112151.74806@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> billk@cs.ukans.edu (Bill Kinnersley) writes:
|>
|> ><Yawn>  Apathy just doesn't seem to excite me any more.
|>
|> Know what you mean.  I was going to write a long article
|> about the evils of apathy, but somehow it just doesn't
|> seem worth the bother.
|>
|> Oh well, back to the thread on what happens when an
|> indivisible operation meets an unmaskable interrupt.

Q: What is the difference between ignorance and apathy?
A: I don't know and I don't care.

--
Norman H. Cohen    ncohen@watson.ibm.com

* Re: 1995 DOD SBIR very barely mentions Ada
@ 1994-10-14 14:22     ` Norman H. Cohen
From: Norman H. Cohen @ 1994-10-14 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

(Robert Firth) writes:

|> In article <1994Oct13.112151.74806@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> billk@cs.ukans.edu (Bill Kinnersley) writes:
|>
|> ><Yawn>  Apathy just doesn't seem to excite me any more.
|>
|> Know what you mean.  I was going to write a long article
|> about the evils of apathy, but somehow it just doesn't
|> seem worth the bother.
|>
|> Oh well, back to the thread on what happens when an
|> indivisible operation meets an unmaskable interrupt.

Q: What is the difference between ignorance and apathy?
A: I don't know and I don't care.

--
Norman H. Cohen    ncohen@watson.ibm.com