* Ada Standard Component Library status
@ 1999-08-20  0:00 Lionel Draghi
From: Lionel Draghi @ 1999-08-20  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

It seems that http://www.suffix.com/Ada/SCL/ had not changed for a long
time.
Is the WG alive? what is ASCL's status?

Lionel Draghi                                          http://attac.org/

* Re: Ada Standard Component Library status
@ 1999-08-23  0:00 ` Marin David Condic
From: Marin David Condic @ 1999-08-23  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lionel Draghi wrote:

> It seems that http://www.suffix.com/Ada/SCL/ had not changed for a long
> time.
> Is the WG alive? what is ASCL's status?

There seems to have been a general lack of activity at both the web page and
on the informal distribution list. I think the group is suffering from lack
of a single person as owner. There have been a number of proposals about
what to concentrate development effort on, and not enough movement has been
made toward any one set of packages.

I pulled together some statistics code with some other members and you can
see it on my website. Independent of the SCL effort, I also put out a bunch
of "utility" code which has some brandy-new financial functions added to it.
Its not a standard (well, its *my* standard. :-) but it may provide some
grist for the mill. (BTW: If you get there and look at any of my code & have
some suggestions, I would appreciate the feedback.)

I think the SCL needs to coalesce around some package specs for some
general-purpose data structures. If the group gets agreement on that much,
the rest should be gravy.

MDC
--
Marin David Condic
Real Time & Embedded Systems, Propulsion Systems Analysis

Visit my web page at: http://www.mcondic.com/

* Re: Ada Standard Component Library status
@ 1999-08-23  0:00   ` jerry
From: jerry @ 1999-08-23  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Marin David Condic <condicma@bogon.pwfl.com> wrote:
: Lionel Draghi wrote:

:> It seems that http://www.suffix.com/Ada/SCL/ had not changed for a long
:> time.
:> Is the WG alive? what is ASCL's status?

: There seems to have been a general lack of activity at both the web page and
: on the informal distribution list. I think the group is suffering from lack
: of a single person as owner. There have been a number of proposals about
: what to concentrate development effort on, and not enough movement has been
: made toward any one set of packages.

Of course, some people are currently otherwise preoccupied :-)

But beside that, there are, IMHO, major communication problems, as
people keep trying to use a web site as the primary communication
verhicle, instead of using cheap & simple email.

(remember, we in europe pay for internet access & telephone connection
_by_the_second_, for me, participating in a web based development of
a library is simply too expensive.)

Note that there is no 'informal distribution list', just a long list of
'cc' addresses that might or might not include the interested parties.

--
-- Jerry van Dijk  | email: jdijk@acm.org
-- Team Ada        | web:   http://stad.dsl.nl/~jvandyk

* Re: Ada Standard Component Library status
@ 1999-08-24  0:00     ` Marin David Condic
From: Marin David Condic @ 1999-08-24  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

jerry@jvdsys.stuyts.nl wrote:

> Of course, some people are currently otherwise preoccupied :-)

If nothing else, there is always the struggle for the legal tender to get in the
way. ;-) And there are the proverbial "bigger fish to fry" for some of us.
(Although I generally prefer them done on the grill or in the smoker.)

> But beside that, there are, IMHO, major communication problems, as
> people keep trying to use a web site as the primary communication
> verhicle, instead of using cheap & simple email.
>
> (remember, we in europe pay for internet access & telephone connection
> _by_the_second_, for me, participating in a web based development of
> a library is simply too expensive.)

That's got to be rather painful. I hope that changes for you soon or the Internet
isn't going to do much good there.

> Note that there is no 'informal distribution list', just a long list of
> 'cc' addresses that might or might not include the interested parties.

Well, there is/was a mailing list on the web page. I rather considered that the
semi-official membership list. Maybe it would help if we set up an e-mail
reflector of some sort. A listserver that we could subscribe/unsubscribe to might
make communication easier. However, I don't know if that is the best way to expose
proposed code in that it is difficult to tell if everyone is dealing off of the
same chapter & verse. Would a web site for posting code be too painful? (I could
probably volunteer some web space in which we would simply keep a page which had
different versions of packages for review.)

MDC
--

@ 1999-08-25  0:00 ` Nick Roberts
From: Nick Roberts @ 1999-08-25  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hopefully it is alive and still going strong!

Nick Roberts
http://www.adapower.com/lab/adaos