From: Marin David Condic <condicma@bogon.pwfl.com>
Subject: Re: Computer Programming for Everybody?
Date: 1999/09/27
Date: 1999-09-27T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Richard D Riehle wrote:

> even though their relative number has diminished.   Assembler is
> especially critical in the world of microcontrollers where Ada has
> no significant role.  For example, I-8051 programmers continue to
> prefer Assembler (sometimes Forth) over C for serious projects.  These
> microncontrollers are increasingly finding their way into safety
> critical software applications.

It would be nice if Ada would play in the world of microcontrollers. We've
had a little prototype job going on around here using the MC68HC16 which is
being done in assembler. I'm pretty sure we have a C compiler around here
somewhere that addresses this chip, but it's not my project, so I don't know
for sure. Assembler usually gets used in these areas because there are no
other choices.

I don't know if full-blown Ada could be conveniently targeted to this
processor (tasking too difficult?) but even a scaled back subset would be
better than the yards of assembler currently being written for this and
similar chips. Assembler vs Ada is almost no contest when comparing error
rates and Ada would definitely be an advantage in our microcontroller
projects. Especially when you consider the potential cost of fielding a unit
that contains a spooge in the code! ;-)

MDC
--
Marin David Condic
Real Time & Embedded Systems, Propulsion Systems Analysis

Visit my web page at: http://www.mcondic.com/