From: Al Christians <achrist@easystreet.com>
Subject: Re: Looking for keyed file package
Date: 1999/09/22
Date: 1999-09-22T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Robert Dewar wrote:

> Well that's a non-technical objection, and a curious one,
> since there are as likely to be free software databases
> around as free software indexed file systems (indeed I
> know one of the former, none of the latter).

I'm not aware of any 'free software database' that is down to
my level of sophistication. What such animal can you recommend
for use with GNAT Ada 3.11p under NT?

I just fear out of pure ignorance that many of the things that
are available in database systems but unneeded in this application
-- locking, transactions, multi-user capabilities, joins,
set-at-a-time processing, triggers, you-name-it -- carry a
pretty heavy cost in performance and general bulk of the
application, ie number of things that can go wrong.  What I
got working today -- a direct_io file with a couple of indexes
built in memory each time the application runs -- works fine and
appears to be able to create a few thousand records per second
and then read and update over 1000 per second.

It's also amusing to me that after my data is refined into its final
form, I will create an Ascii text file of it to pass to the next
application.  Using direct_io with a record padded with a crlf,
the step of creating the Ascii version of the file is null,  there's
nothing to do. This random access Ascii via direct_io matches Btrieve
in speed, and I can view and patch my database with edlin.

Al