From: "Robert I. Eachus" <eachus@mitre.org>
Subject: Re: Computer Programming for Everybody?
Date: 1999/09/14
Date: 1999-09-14T23:23:32+00:00	[thread overview]

Richard D Riehle wrote:

> The important thing is not the choice of language.

    I seriously disagree.  There are two very valid reasons for teaching
a second language to young children.  The first is to insure that they
are (at least) bilingual.  The second is to "break the mold" of
believing that the map is the territory.  This requires that there are
concepts that are (easily) expressible in the second language and not
the first.

    By this standard, APL, Scheme, Ada, and Python are all good choices,
BASIC and LOGO are very bad.  (My daughter learned APL and French as a
child, and Ada later.  My son learned Ada as a child.)

--

                                        Robert I. Eachus

with Standard_Disclaimer;
use  Standard_Disclaimer;