From: Andy Askey <askeya@res.raytheon.com>
Subject: Re: Package reformatting tool availability
Date: 1999/09/07
Date: 1999-09-07T15:53:14+00:00	[thread overview]

Thanx for the info.  I noticed from the responses here (and others
emailed) that the everyone wanted to know why I would need this tool
since packages are meant to contain only related types and therefore
should not be broken up.

Unfortunately the legacy Ada I have dealt with in the passed 7 years has
a different criteria for grouping types within packages.  It appears
that there is some rule of thumb that only about 30-50 types can be
placed in one package.  When more types are created, there is an obvious
need for another package.  I guess this makes it easier on the
developers.  Some discipline of thought must be that the number of
"with" statements increase complexity exponentially.  I missed this
course in school and must fall back on the "related types to a package"
philosophy.  Therefore, I have a need for this tool to bridge this
software philosophical chasm.

Actually, I figured out the requirements of what I need.  Maybe I'll get
bored some weekend and write a perl script break up packages based on
dependency relationships.  I'll post this if I do ... but then again,
football season just started.

Andy
|                 Andy Askey                      |
|              Software Engineer                  |
|           Raytheon Systems Company              |
|   670 Discovery Drive, Huntsville, AL  35806    |
|   Phone: (256) 971-2367  Fax: (256) 971-2306    |
|        andrew_j_askey@res.raytheon.com          |