* CAATS
@ 1999-08-28  0:00 Joe Wisniewski
From: Joe Wisniewski @ 1999-08-28  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

(Slightly off charter for r.a.m. but couldn't find a closer aviation-
related n.g.)

What is the status of CAATS (Canadian Air Traffic Control system)
being fielded by Raytheon out of Vancouver)? I know that this was
supposed to be a very complex "Ada95 distributed objects"
implementation. I know that there was a Tri-Ada presentation a
couple of years ago relating to some aspects of the design/architecture.

There seems to very little info out in the public
domain on this project, or I am just not finding it?
It is interesting because I would think that
any "good news" from CAATS would have been used to offset some of
the STARS "setbacks", if you want to call it that, over the last year.

Just curious.

Joe

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

* Re: CAATS
@ 1999-08-28  0:00 ` Tarver Engineering
From: Tarver Engineering @ 1999-08-28  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Joe Wisniewski wrote in message <7q8mt7$81n$1@nnrp1.deja.com>...
>(Slightly off charter for r.a.m. but couldn't find a closer aviation-
>related n.g.)
>
>What is the status of CAATS (Canadian Air Traffic Control system)
>being fielded by Raytheon out of Vancouver)? I know that this was
>supposed to be a very complex "Ada95 distributed objects"
>implementation. I know that there was a Tri-Ada presentation a
>couple of years ago relating to some aspects of the design/architecture.
>
>There seems to very little info out in the public
>domain on this project, or I am just not finding it?
>It is interesting because I would think that
>any "good news" from CAATS would have been used to offset some of
>the STARS "setbacks", if you want to call it that, over the last year.

CAATS was up and playing before changes to make STARS.  Maybe the people
that fixed CAATS to make STARS don't want to talk about it.

John

* Re: CAATS
@ 1999-08-28  0:00   ` Joe Wisniewski
From: Joe Wisniewski @ 1999-08-28  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

>CAATS was up and playing before changes to make STARS.  Maybe the people
>that fixed CAATS to make STARS don't want to talk about it.

       Wait a minute. STARS was awarded to Raytheon in 1996. CAATS at that
time was
       still being done by Hughes, right? before the acquisition. CAATS was
still knee deep
       in development at that time. Was there an alliance for this ATC stuff
between Raytheon
       and Hughes before the takeover?

       I had no idea CAATS was fully deployed. I know that in 1997 they had
a deployment in
       Vancouver only, but hadn't seen any press releases since then. So, I
am confused.

    Joe

From: Tarver Engineering @ 1999-08-28  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Joe Wisniewski wrote in message ...

>>CAATS was up and playing before changes to make STARS.  Maybe the people
>>that fixed CAATS to make STARS don't want to talk about it.
>>
>       Wait a minute. STARS was awarded to Raytheon in 1996. CAATS at that
>time was
>       still being done by Hughes, right? before the acquisition. CAATS was
>still knee deep
>       in development at that time. Was there an alliance for this ATC
stuff
>between Raytheon
>       and Hughes before the takeover?

It's all Wilcox to me.  The Raytheon takeover was with political blessings.

>       I had no idea CAATS was fully deployed. I know that in 1997 they had
>a deployment in
>       Vancouver only, but hadn't seen any press releases since then. So, I
>am confused.

The Canadian Demos were being shown in 1996.  Ada works well if you get it
correct the first try.

John

* Re: CAATS
@ 1999-08-29  0:00     ` Chris Thompson
From: Chris Thompson @ 1999-08-29  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dave Holford wrote:

> Wow, If CAATS is up and playing I wonder why no one has used it yet.
>
> Dave

CAATS is not operational yet.  However, it has been in use by the customer for
over a year now for operational training purposes.  Development is continuing
as we provide about  2 deliveries per year, each one adding more automation.
Ada continues to be an asset on the program, both in terms of helping to
produce a ~1 million SLOC, safety critical system, and in terms of attracting
top notch software engineering talent from around the world.

Chris Thompson
Lead Software Architect  - CAATS Program
Raytheon Systems Canada Ltd.

* Re: CAATS
@ 1999-08-29  0:00   ` Dave Holford
From: Dave Holford @ 1999-08-29  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)