From: Marin David Condic <condicma@bogon.pwfl.com>
Subject: Re: URGENT: year 2000 compliance
Date: 1999/08/24
Date: 1999-08-24T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Larry Kilgallen wrote:

> In article <935487077.548895@dedale.pandemonium.fr>, "=:-) Vincent" <vincent.brosseau@bruker.fr> writes:
> > Does anybody know if GNAT 3.10p is Y2K compliant ?
>
> If you are looking for a vendor to warrant Y2K behavior,
> then you need something other than the "p" (public, free,
> unsupported) version.

I thought that ACT had put up a statement about Y2K compliance on their web page which - if all you care
about is a warm-fuzzy feeling about the compiler - ought to move you to the comfort zone. If you're looking
for some sort of guarantee or legal recourse, I'd think you would need a support contract.

> If you just care about "easily discovered bugs" then
> the test program offered may be adequate.

I think Y2K compliance would involve more than issues about the correctness of the package Calendar or any
other generated-code problems. It would also involve the compilation system itself, since this utilizes
timestamps to determine recompilation questions. I don't know how you would write a simple test program to
check that out. It would seem you would have to run tests while rebooting the computer with different dates.

MDC
--
Marin David Condic
Real Time & Embedded Systems, Propulsion Systems Analysis

Visit my web page at: http://www.mcondic.com/