From: Marin David Condic <condicma@bogon.pwfl.com>
Subject: Re: PC as bare machine?
Date: 1999/08/19
Date: 1999-08-19T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Ada2001 wrote:

> I am starting on a embedded Ada development project that will ultimately
> run on a custom Intel CPU target board. The final target hardware will
> not be available for a few months.  I am wondering if it is possible to
> use a standard PC as a bare machine development platform until I get the
> real target board.  Has anyone done this or know of any papers
> describing how to boot a PC with a dedicated program (no operating
> system)?

While I don't know the answer to that specific question, I'll suggest a
couple of alternatives: One is to buy an Intel SBC card which should give
you some means of loading OS-free code and may even give you some help with
visibility into its execution. Another alternative is a software simulation
of the chip in question. I realize that this is spending money when you
already have a PC on your desk, but it may not be that bad and might do a
better job than trying to force a PC to boot with your embedded code.

MDC
--
Marin David Condic
Real Time & Embedded Systems, Propulsion Systems Analysis

Visit my web page at: http://www.mcondic.com/