From: Tucker Taft <stt@averstar.com>
Subject: Re: Writing Book, Need Ada Ammunition
Date: 1999/07/23
Date: 1999-07-23T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Ken O. Burtch wrote:

> I'm working on a book on Linux programming using Ada 95 and the gnat
> compiler. The book company I'm speaking with doesn't have a problem
> publishing a Linux book, but they feel that Ada is a "declining language"
> that nobody is interested in and that has no future.

Ada is doing just fine.  It doesn't have a hype engine.
However, if you look at which 3rd-generation languages are
actually being used to build *real* production quality high-performance
software in any volume, Ada is one of the top five languages.
In the embedded, real-time, or safety-critical world, it is
probably in the top three.  Java is still not a high-performance
language (and certainly not a safety-critical one), and once you
get past C/C++, Ada is the primary alternative.  Go to any book store,
and you will see that Ada books outnumber those for all 3rd generation
languages other than Java and C/C++ (although with Y2K, there has been a
resurgence in Cobol books ;-).

--
-Tucker Taft   stt@averstar.com   http://www.averstar.com/~stt/
Technical Director, Distributed IT Solutions  (www.averstar.com/tools)