* Any have GNAT running on linux
@ 1999-07-13  0:00 Richard Wallace
From: Richard Wallace @ 1999-07-13  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm running into a few problems installing GNAT on Red Hat 6.0.  I
downloaded gnat-3.11p-i686-pc-linux-gnu-bin.tar.gz
ftp://cs.nyu.edu/pub/gnat/.  I uncompressed the file and ran the
doconfig and doinstall scripts and made sure that /usr/bin was in my
path.  The first error I got was that 'cpp' file wasn't found or did not
exist.  After looking in the uncompressed directory I noticed that that
was where cpp so I added the unzipped directory to my .bash_profile.
That error went away but now I'm getting the error
"cannot open crtbegin.o: No such file or directory".  I again looked in
the uncompressed directory and it was there but apparently isn't being
found.  I tried setting a few path varibles as they are on my school
Unix account, but had no luck.  If anyone has GNAT running on linux(or
just has a suggestion) I would appreciate the help.  Thanks.

Richard

* Re: Any have GNAT running on linux
@ 1999-07-14  0:00 ` Alex
From: Alex @ 1999-07-14  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

You should download two file .rpm  (library and binary) from linux page in
www.adapower.com .
It works, I'm using it with Redhat 6.0.
Sorry, for my english.

by
Alessandro
busato@newtech.it

@ 1999-07-18  0:00   ` Markus Kuhn
From: Markus Kuhn @ 1999-07-18  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <37919764.48840A3C@magic.fr>, Pascal MALAISE <malaise@magic.fr> writes:
|> Richard Wallace wrote:
|>
|> > I'm running into a few problems installing GNAT on Red Hat 6.0.  I
|> > downloaded gnat-3.11p-i686-pc-linux-gnu-bin.tar.gz
|>
|> A glance at dejanews shows that I'm not alone in this case: the
|> glibc-2.1.1 is not compatible enough with the glibc-2.0 gnat 3.11p was
|> build with.

Try the RPMs on

  http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/linux-ada/

which include already a fix for a glibc 2.1 incompatibility.

Markus

* Re: Any have GNAT running on linux
@ 1999-07-18  0:00 ` Pascal MALAISE
From: Pascal MALAISE @ 1999-07-18  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Richard Wallace wrote:

> I'm running into a few problems installing GNAT on Red Hat 6.0.  I
> downloaded gnat-3.11p-i686-pc-linux-gnu-bin.tar.gz

Me too, but not the same problems.
which option of doconfig did you choose?

Running the doconfig with option 2 (Install GCC C compiler and GNAT
files in the standard  GCC locations)  works correctly... it installs
gcc version 2.8.1 instead of/beside the egcs provided by red hat.
Gnat compiler runs OK (gcc, gnatmake...) but the executables it produces
core in some _IO_sebuf...
A glance at dejanews shows that I'm not alone in this case: the
glibc-2.1.1 is not compatible enough with the glibc-2.0 gnat 3.11p was
build with.
Some people report they successfully downgraded their glibc to 2.0!!!

My question is: did anyone try to install gnat 3.11p from the sources on
top of glibc-2.1.1?
Anyone aware of a gnat runtime library already compiled with this glibc?
Thank's

--
Pascal MALAISE
(priv) mailto:malaise@magic.fr

* Re: Any have GNAT running on linux
@ 1999-07-19  0:00     ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1999-07-19  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <7mt3tf$i9u$1@pegasus.csx.cam.ac.uk>,
  mgk25@cl.cam.ac.uk (Markus Kuhn) wrote:

> Try the RPMs on
>
>   http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/linux-ada/
>
> which include already a fix for a glibc 2.1 incompatibility.
>
> Markus

It is perhaps worth a warning, that if these RPM's are
constructed using shared libraries (I believe they are), then
there are some known failures, notably in some tasking cases,
that come from the use of shared libraries. Probably these
will not bother most casual GNAT users ...

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

* Re: Any have GNAT running on linux
@ 1999-07-19  0:00       ` Markus Kuhn
From: Markus Kuhn @ 1999-07-19  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert Dewar <robert_dewar@my-deja.com> writes:
|> In article <7mt3tf$i9u$1@pegasus.csx.cam.ac.uk>,
|>   mgk25@cl.cam.ac.uk (Markus Kuhn) wrote:
|> >
|> > Try the RPMs on
|> >   http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/linux-ada/
|> > which include already a fix for a glibc 2.1 incompatibility.
|>
|> It is perhaps worth a warning, that if these RPM's are
|> constructed using shared libraries (I believe they are), then
|> there are some known failures, notably in some tasking cases,
|> that come from the use of shared libraries. Probably these
|> will not bother most casual GNAT users ...

Or in the words of the README file that comes with the RPMs and that
users should certainly read carefully:

   This distribution supports a shared GNAT runtime. This has the advantage
   of typically much smaller binaries and slightly reduced link times. The
   disadvantage is, that you need to deploy the runtime together with
   your programs and that the programs run slightly slower. For the runtime
   you may simply redistribute the runtime RPM belonging to this distribution.
   Please note, that the usage of shared libraries is an added feature
   of the ALT project and is not as well tested as the static case. In most
   cases it works. In cases you believe that the shared libraries causes
   problems just link statically (e.g. "-largs -static" for gnatmake). This
   will give you the original ACT behaviour.

Has there been already any progress with regard to identifying, what exactly
might go wrong with tasking and shared libraries?

Markus

* Re: Any have GNAT running on linux
@ 1999-07-19  0:00   ` James Bean
From: James Bean @ 1999-07-19  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Pascal MALAISE wrote:

> Richard Wallace wrote:
>
> > I'm running into a few problems installing GNAT on Red Hat 6.0.  I
> > downloaded gnat-3.11p-i686-pc-linux-gnu-bin.tar.gz
>
> Me too, but not the same problems.
> which option of doconfig did you choose?
>
> Running the doconfig with option 2 (Install GCC C compiler and GNAT
> files in the standard  GCC locations)  works correctly... it installs
> gcc version 2.8.1 instead of/beside the egcs provided by red hat.
> Gnat compiler runs OK (gcc, gnatmake...) but the executables it produces
> core in some _IO_sebuf...
> A glance at dejanews shows that I'm not alone in this case: the
> glibc-2.1.1 is not compatible enough with the glibc-2.0 gnat 3.11p was
> build with.
> Some people report they successfully downgraded their glibc to 2.0!!!
>
> My question is: did anyone try to install gnat 3.11p from the sources on
> top of glibc-2.1.1?
> Anyone aware of a gnat runtime library already compiled with this glibc?
> Thank's
>
> --
> Pascal MALAISE
> (priv) mailto:malaise@magic.fr
> (prof) mailto:malaise@fr.airsysatm.thomson-csf.com

Hi all,
My 2 cents worth of strategy is to stay with RH 5.2 and just update the
kernel as required (am presently running 2.3.6 OK).  RH even has a very
nice tutorial on how to do this.  This way there are no problems with
any version of GNAT.  IMHO RH 6.0 dosn't offer much that I need, but
I do need GNAT.
regards Jim Bean

* Re: Any have GNAT running on linux
@ 1999-07-23  0:00     ` Aidan Skinner
From: Aidan Skinner @ 1999-07-23  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 19 Jul 1999 15:09:10 +0000, James Bean
<Jim-bean@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>My 2 cents worth of strategy is to stay with RH 5.2 and just update the
>kernel as required (am presently running 2.3.6 OK).  RH even has a very

There are rpms of GNAT 3.11p linked from
http://www.cs.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/linux-ada/ that run quite happily on
this RedHat 6.0 box (just as they ran on it when it was running Redhat
5.2 and 5.0) and don't interfere with egcs (which is the default C
compiler on 6, a tad irritatingly IMO).

Perhaps this should go in the FAQ?

- Aidan
--
http://www.skinner.demon.co.uk/aidan/
How much can could ICANN can if ICANN could can-can?

* Re: Any have GNAT running on linux
@ 1999-07-23  0:00       ` ronald
From: ronald @ 1999-07-23  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

aidan@skinner.demon.co.uk (Aidan Skinner) writes:
> There are rpms of GNAT 3.11p linked from
> http://www.cs.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/linux-ada/ that run quite happily on
> this RedHat 6.0 box (just as they ran on it when it was running Redhat
> 5.2 and 5.0) and don't interfere with egcs (which is the default C
> compiler on 6, a tad irritatingly IMO).

Why irritating?  EGCS is now the *real* GCC.  Stallman christened it
so.  If one doesn't like using bleeding edge technology, then one
would do well to avoid RedHat (and it's derivatives) and stick with
tried-and-true Slackware.

--
Forte International, P.O. Box 1412, Ridgecrest, CA  93556-1412
Ronald Cole <ronald@forte-intl.com>      Phone: (760) 499-9142