* Java Out, Linux In
@ 1999-06-04  0:00 Jean-Marten Marchi
From: Jean-Marten Marchi @ 1999-06-04  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Just for information

 http://linuxtoday.com/stories/6479.html

" Wyse technology has pulled Java from its
                     top-of-the-line thin client workstations in
                     favor of Linux.

                     Wyse will include a customized version of
                     Linux when it ships the Winterm 5000
                     series of diskless terminals on 14 June.
                     The first Linux box from Wyse will store
                     the operating system on 32 MB of flash
                     RAM and can connect to Windows NT,
                     Unix, or Linux servers.

                     Wyse abandoned a previous generation of
                     Java-based thin clients after only a few
                     months due to poor performance of the
                     operating system. "

I haven't found the thread's title but it's a good summary.

* Re: Java Out, Linux In
@ 1999-06-04  0:00 ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 1999-06-04  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

>  http://linuxtoday.com/stories/6479.html
>
> " Wyse technology has pulled Java from its
>                      top-of-the-line thin client workstations in
>                      favor of Linux.

Well, if they abandon a language in favor of an operating system,
who could argue ?   I think I will trade my lawnmower in for an
OO methodology.

Larry Kilgallen

* Re: Java Out, Linux In
@ 1999-06-04  0:00   ` dennison
From: dennison @ 1999-06-04  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <1999Jun4.062135.1@eisner>,
  Kilgallen@eisner.decus.org.nospam wrote:
> >  http://linuxtoday.com/stories/6479.html
> >
> > " Wyse technology has pulled Java from its
> >                      top-of-the-line thin client workstations in
> >                      favor of Linux.
>
> Well, if they abandon a language in favor of an operating system,
> who could argue ?   I think I will trade my lawnmower in for an
> OO methodology.

The JVM could be considered an OS.

--
T.E.D.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

From: Larry Kilgallen @ 1999-06-04  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <7j8ot3$eo5$1@nnrp1.deja.com>, dennison@telepath.com writes:
> In article <1999Jun4.062135.1@eisner>,
>   Kilgallen@eisner.decus.org.nospam wrote:
>> >  http://linuxtoday.com/stories/6479.html
>> >
>> > " Wyse technology has pulled Java from its
>> >                      top-of-the-line thin client workstations in
>> >                      favor of Linux.
>>
>> Well, if they abandon a language in favor of an operating system,
>> who could argue ?   I think I will trade my lawnmower in for an
>> OO methodology.
>
> The JVM could be considered an OS.

but the headline did not say Java Virtual Machine, it said Java, which
even the Chief Science Officer of Sun has said is more useful than for
just running in the Java Virtual Machine.

Larry Kilgallen

* Re: Java Out, Linux In
@ 1999-06-04  0:00   ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1999-06-04  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <1999Jun4.062135.1@eisner>,
  Kilgallen@eisner.decus.org.nospam wrote:
> Well, if they abandon a language in favor of an operating
> system, who could argue ?   I think I will trade my lawnmower
> in for an
> OO methodology.

That's not really a fair comment. When Java is used in
connection with thin clients like this, it is intended as
meaning a Java-only based machine, i.e. the case in which
the Java environment does indeed function as a replacement
for the operating system.

From: Robert Dewar @ 1999-06-04  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <1999Jun4.124721.1@eisner>,
  Kilgallen@eisner.decus.org.nospam wrote:
> but the headline did not say Java Virtual Machine, it said
> Java, which even the Chief Science Officer of Sun has said is
> more useful than for just running in the Java Virtual Machine.

But that again I think misses the point. It is not just the
JVM that functions as a replacement for an OS, but the whole
Java environment, which includes the language, the virtual
machine, and the library classes.

It is quite common to use Java in this encompassing form, and
indeed when Sun talks about Java-only machines they are not
talking about machines with only a language and no operating
system.

So the language of the article, while a bit informal, in fact
corresponds to commonly understood usage in this area, and would
for example immediately be understood by readers of computer
world, even if the more pedantic folks at comp.lang.ada get
a type error :-) :-)

@ 1999-06-04  0:00         ` chris
From: chris @ 1999-06-04  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Yes, Linux is cool.

GNAT + Linux are even more cool.

I wish someone would take more leadership role for GNAT+Linux to put more
effort and money into this combination.

Linux will be a very hot thing in the commig years. Java on Linux is
still weak compared to Java on windows. This is a window for Ada to
jump in on the Linux platform as a vehicle to make Ada more popular
with all those thousands of programmers who are writing software for Linux
every day. Ada on windows will never make it (you can't make those VB
programmers think in terms of abstration and interfaces). Ada on Unix
and on Linux in particular have a much better chance just becuase that
environment is not polluted by the MS culture.

What we need is something like Sun is doing for Java. We need a fully
integrated  GNAT+libraries Linux package/distro that will knock
the JDK+its API out.

The only reason I see Java as popular is not becuase the language is
so great, (although it is much better than C and C++ for sure) but
becuase JDK comes with zillion API to do almost anything
you want. From sending email, to playing sound to 2D to 3D to GUI,
if it can be done, it seems java has an API for it. soon Sun will
make an API to let java cook for you also. You can not help but be
very impressed by the Java API's.

Without doing something soon, Ada will be dead folks. wake up. we need
to do something. I see some Ada people wasting efforts on re-inventing
the wheel by duplicating efforts, trying to build new OS in Ada and
make yet another linked list.

What is needed are usefull practical Ada packages that people in the
commerical world can use today, something like an Ada package for
SNMP (reading snmp pkts, parsing it, BER encoding, support for snmpv1,
v2c etc..) or an Ada package for XML (Java is big hear, Sun has an XML
package part of JDK allready). (I am thinking of writing an Ada package
for SNMP, since that sounds like a fun thing to do and can be very
usefull, but I need to check to see may be someone did that allready ;)

Of course, when jGNAT do come out and be public, and one can
use Ada to call any of those Java classes, it will make Ada very popular
to use also.

Chris.

* Re: Java Out, Linux In
@ 1999-06-06  0:00           ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 1999-06-06  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I nominate you to contact and join the Ada for Linux team -
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/linux-ada/

If you really feel this way take the sage Hillel's advice:

"When there is no one, strive to be some one." (Ethics of the Fathers
2:5)

Do.

David Botton