* Re: When will Ada's big moment arrive?
@ 1999-05-27  0:00 Robert I. Eachus
From: Robert I. Eachus @ 1999-05-27  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Chris wrote:

> So, will Ada ever gets it day, and become very popular?
> What is missing from Ada that does not make it as popular
> as Java or C or C++ or Delphi or Perl or Python or VB etc..?

     Imagine a book named "Ada for Dummies."  Case Closed.
--

                                        Robert I. Eachus

with Standard_Disclaimer;
use  Standard_Disclaimer;

* Re: When will Ada's big moment arrive?
@ 1999-05-28  0:00 ` Bill Ghrist
From: Bill Ghrist @ 1999-05-28  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert I. Eachus wrote:

> Chris wrote:
>
> > So, will Ada ever gets it day, and become very popular?
> > What is missing from Ada that does not make it as popular
> > as Java or C or C++ or Delphi or Perl or Python or VB etc..?
>
>      Imagine a book named "Ada for Dummies."  Case Closed.
> --

Actually, I think that sounds like a great idea.  Package it with GNAT
for Windows and AdaGide on a ready-to-load CD, and you might have a real
winner.  Don't be fooled by the "For Dummies" name--those books are not
necessarily for the unintelligent, simply for those who are starting out
with very little knowledge of the subject.  The only one I have had
experience with is "HTML for Dummies", but when I was looking for a good
reference book on HTML, it was by far the most useful one that I found.
Who knows--with some savy marketing, this could be the new Turbo Pascal
:-)

Regards,
Bill Ghrist

* Re: When will Ada's big moment arrive?
@ 1999-05-28  0:00 ` P.S. Norby
From: P.S. Norby @ 1999-05-28  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert I. Eachus wrote:

> Chris wrote:
>
> > So, will Ada ever gets it day, and become very popular?
> > What is missing from Ada that does not make it as popular
> > as Java or C or C++ or Delphi or Perl or Python or VB etc..?
>
>      Imagine a book named "Ada for Dummies."  Case Closed.
> --
>
>                                         Robert I. Eachus
>
> with Standard_Disclaimer;
> use  Standard_Disclaimer;
> function Message (Text: in Clever_Ideas) return Better_Ideas is...

How about "Ada... because you're not a dummy"!

--
P.S. Norby

 "Software engineers are, in many ways, similar to normal people"

        --  Scott Adams

"No excuses.  No embarrassment.  No apologies...
 Ada -- the most trusted and powerful programming language
 on earth, or in space." -- S. Tucker Taft

\\\    \\\    \\\    \\\    \\\    \\\    \\\    \\\    \\\
( :)   ( :)   ( :)   ( :)   ( :)   ( :)   ( :)   ( :)   ( :)
///    ///    ///    ///    ///    ///    ///    ///    ///
(Speaking only for myself)

* Re: When will Ada's big moment arrive?
@ 1999-06-02  0:00   ` Bill Beckwith
From: Bill Beckwith @ 1999-06-02  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bill Ghrist <ghristwd@pgh.net> wrote in <374E9AEF.178572F3@pgh.net>:

>... Don't be fooled by the "For Dummies" name--those books are not
>necessarily for the unintelligent, simply for those who are starting out
>with very little knowledge of the subject.  The only one I have had
>experience with is "HTML for Dummies", but when I was looking for a good
>reference book on HTML, it was by far the most useful one that I found.
>Who knows--with some savy marketing, this could be the new Turbo Pascal
>:-)

My favorite book on ATM signalling is "ATM for Dummies"!?!

-- Bill