* Re: Ada firsts
@ 1999-05-10  0:00   ` Andi Kleen
From: Andi Kleen @ 1999-05-10  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert Dewar <robert_dewar@my-dejanews.com> writes:

> In article <373625B2.719AE8C0@globalnet.co.uk>,
>   J & A Richardson <jrichard@globalnet.co.uk> wrote:
> > My instructor said that Ada has 3 firsts.
> >
> > It was the first language to be standardized.
> >
> > She could not remember the other two firsts.
> >
> > Does anyone know what they are??
>

> Well let's start with the first point. It most certainly was
> NOT the first language to be standardized. Probably the
> confusion here is that it was the first object oriented
> language to be standardized.

Hmm.

ISO Ada95                               1995
ANSI-CommonLisp/CLOS			1994

-Andi

--
This is like TV. I don't like TV.

* Ada firsts
@ 1999-05-10  0:00 J & A Richardson
From: J & A Richardson @ 1999-05-10  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

My instructor said that Ada has 3 firsts.

It was the first language to be standardized.

She could not remember the other two firsts.

Does anyone know what they are??

James Richardson

* Re: Ada firsts
@ 1999-05-10  0:00 ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1999-05-10  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <373625B2.719AE8C0@globalnet.co.uk>,
  J & A Richardson <jrichard@globalnet.co.uk> wrote:
> My instructor said that Ada has 3 firsts.
>
> It was the first language to be standardized.
>
> She could not remember the other two firsts.
>
> Does anyone know what they are??

Well let's start with the first point. It most certainly was
NOT the first language to be standardized. Probably the
confusion here is that it was the first object oriented
language to be standardized.

Other possible firsts:

First language to have an official validation suite, keyed
closely to the standard.

First standard language to have full concurrency facilities.

First language to be standardized by the canvass method instead
of by an x3 committee

First language for which a formal design process included the
publication of requirements documents.

First language to have a simultaneous (identical) Military
and ANSI standard.

All of these are a little bit discussable :-)

I may well have missed other ones ...

* Re: Ada firsts
@ 1999-05-10  0:00     ` Keith Thompson
From: Keith Thompson @ 1999-05-10  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andi Kleen <ak-uu@muc.de> writes:
> Robert Dewar <robert_dewar@my-dejanews.com> writes:
[...]
> > Well let's start with the first point. It most certainly was
> > NOT the first language to be standardized. Probably the
> > confusion here is that it was the first object oriented
> > language to be standardized.
>
> Hmm.
>
> ISO Ada95                             1995
> ANSI-CommonLisp/CLOS			1994

I think it was the first object oriented language to be
*internationally* standardized.

--
Keith Thompson (The_Other_Keith) kst@cts.com  <http://www.ghoti.net/~kst>
San Diego Supercomputer Center  <http://www.sdsc.edu>                 <*>

* Re: Ada firsts
@ 1999-05-11  0:00   ` Jean-Marten Marchi
From: Jean-Marten Marchi @ 1999-05-11  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 10 May 1999 03:52:50 GMT, Robert Dewar
<robert_dewar@my-dejanews.com> wrote:

>In article <373625B2.719AE8C0@globalnet.co.uk>,
>  J & A Richardson <jrichard@globalnet.co.uk> wrote:
>> My instructor said that Ada has 3 firsts.
>>
>> It was the first language to be standardized.
>>
>> She could not remember the other two firsts.
>>
>> Does anyone know what they are??
>

>Well let's start with the first point. It most certainly was
>NOT the first language to be standardized. Probably the
>confusion here is that it was the first object oriented
>language to be standardized.
>
>Other possible firsts:
>
>First language to have an official validation suite, keyed
>closely to the standard.
>
>First standard language to have full concurrency facilities.
>
>First language to be standardized by the canvass method instead
>of by an x3 committee
>
>First language for which a formal design process included the
>publication of requirements documents.
>
>First language to have a simultaneous (identical) Military
>and ANSI standard.
>
>All of these are a little bit discussable :-)
>
>I may well have missed other ones ...

>---Share what you know. Learn what you don't.---

Do you have GNAT firsts in mind ?

* Re: Ada firsts
@ 1999-05-11  0:00     ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1999-05-11  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <3738fc30.15437948@news2.ibm.net>,
  jmarten@ibm.net (Jean-Marten Marchi) wrote:
> Do you have GNAT firsts in mind ?

No, the question was about Ada in general, not GNAT.

I am not sure what a "GNAT first" would be anyway?

* Re: Ada firsts
@ 1999-05-11  0:00 ` Nick Roberts
From: Nick Roberts @ 1999-05-11  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Reminds me of the joke: "I'm terribly forgetful. There are three things I
always forget: one, people's names; two, dentist's appointments; ... and I
forget the third!" :-)

Personally, I find it most significant that Ada is (to the best of my
knowledge) the first and only major computer programming language to be
named after a woman (Ada Augusta nee Byron, Countess of Lovelace, daughter
of the famous poet, as well as mathematician and patron and assistant of
Charles Babbage).  Persuade your (female) instructor to proudly mention this
fact, in future.  (I am a great fan of encouraging women into the computing
community.)

-------------------------------------
Nick Roberts
-------------------------------------

* GNAT firsts (was Re: Ada firsts)
@ 1999-05-11  0:00       ` Corey Minyard
From: Corey Minyard @ 1999-05-11  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert Dewar <robert_dewar@my-dejanews.com> writes:

> In article <3738fc30.15437948@news2.ibm.net>,
>   jmarten@ibm.net (Jean-Marten Marchi) wrote:
> > Do you have GNAT firsts in mind ?
>
> No, the question was about Ada in general, not GNAT.
>
> I am not sure what a "GNAT first" would be anyway?

Robert, you are too modest :-).

How about:

  * The first free software Ada compiler

  * The first Ada compiler to fully implement all Ada95 annexes
    (I think this is correct).

  * The first Ada compiler for Linux (ok, I'm pushing it here)

--
Corey Minyard                   Internet:  minyard@acm.org
  Work: minyard@nortelnetworks.com  UUCP:  minyard@wf-rch.cirr.com

* Re: GNAT firsts (was Re: Ada firsts)
@ 1999-05-11  0:00         ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1999-05-11  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <m2k8ufvg78.fsf_-_@wf-rch.cirr.com>,
  minyard@acm.org wrote:
> How about:
>
>   * The first free software Ada compiler
>
>   * The first Ada compiler to fully implement all Ada95
annexes
>     (I think this is correct).
>
>   * The first Ada compiler for Linux (ok, I'm pushing it here)

OK, well certainly all the above are true, including, as far
as I know, the Linux case, but they are not exactly what the
original questioner was looking for :-)

From: Robert Dewar @ 1999-05-11  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <m2k8ufvg78.fsf_-_@wf-rch.cirr.com>,
>   * The first free software Ada compiler
>
>   * The first Ada compiler to fully implement all Ada95
annexes
>     (I think this is correct).
>
>   * The first Ada compiler for Linux (ok, I'm pushing it here)
>
> --
> Corey Minyard                   Internet:  minyard@acm.org
>   Work: minyard@nortelnetworks.com  UUCP:
minyard@wf-rch.cirr.com

Actually I think you can replace "first" by "only" in the above
and all statements are still correct.

Surprisingly (at least to me) GNAT is still the only compiler
that implements the full Ada 95 standard including all annexes.
And as far as I know it is the only compiler for Linux.

I would be quite happy for either of these statements to be
no longer true!

* Re: Ada firsts
@ 1999-05-11  0:00     ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1999-05-11  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <m37lqh6l0a.fsf@fred.muc.de>,
  Andi Kleen <ak-uu@muc.de> wrote:
> ISO Ada95                               1995
> ANSI-CommonLisp/CLOS			1994
>
> -Andi

Ah, that's right, you have to say, first *internationally*
standardized object oriented language :-)

* Re: GNAT firsts (was Re: Ada firsts)
@ 1999-05-12  0:00         ` Jean-Marten Marchi
From: Jean-Marten Marchi @ 1999-05-12  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 11 May 1999 08:22:10 PDT, Corey Minyard <minyard@acm.org> wrote:

>Robert Dewar <robert_dewar@my-dejanews.com> writes:
>
>> In article <3738fc30.15437948@news2.ibm.net>,
>>   jmarten@ibm.net (Jean-Marten Marchi) wrote:
>> > Do you have GNAT firsts in mind ?
>>
>> No, the question was about Ada in general, not GNAT.
>>
>> I am not sure what a "GNAT first" would be anyway?
>>

>Robert, you are too modest :-).
>
>How about:
>
>  * The first free software Ada compiler
>
>  * The first Ada compiler to fully implement all Ada95 annexes
>    (I think this is correct).
>
>  * The first Ada compiler for Linux (ok, I'm pushing it here)

I'm sure there are other firsts for GNAT.

The use of the underlying gcc compiler? this feature is the one i like
most.

(sorry for the inconvenience of replying via e-mail; i don't click on
the right button).