From: "Nick Roberts" <nickroberts@callnetuk.com>
Subject: Re: Ada firsts
Date: 1999/05/11
Date: 1999-05-11T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Reminds me of the joke: "I'm terribly forgetful. There are three things I
always forget: one, people's names; two, dentist's appointments; ... and I
forget the third!" :-)

Personally, I find it most significant that Ada is (to the best of my
knowledge) the first and only major computer programming language to be
named after a woman (Ada Augusta nee Byron, Countess of Lovelace, daughter
of the famous poet, as well as mathematician and patron and assistant of
Charles Babbage).  Persuade your (female) instructor to proudly mention this
fact, in future.  (I am a great fan of encouraging women into the computing
community.)

Nick Roberts