From: Andreas Winckler <andreas.winckler@frqnet.de>
Subject: Re: Newbie question on APEX and VADS
Date: 1999/05/06
Date: 1999-05-06T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Larry Kilgallen wrote:

> I have received some Ada source that refers to both APEX and VADS.
>
> Could someone describe for me the difference/relationship between
> APEX and VADS ?

The major difference between them is that VADS is a command line driven
compiler and Apex a integrated development enviroment. Besides that
Rational tells that VADS is in the phase "end of life" which means they
will stop to maintain it some time soon.

....and sell the MUCH more expensive Apex only. ;-)

Right now we're evaluating the possibility to switch from VADS to Apex
in our company. Apex has a VADS-view which provides full compatibility
with source code made for VADS. Our first experiences show that besides
some minor problems this works good.

Greetings,

AW
Andreas Winckler
Dipl.ing.
Software Engineering

FREQUENTIS Network Systems GmbH
Department MHS
Bahnhofsplatz 1
88045 Friedrichshafen, Germany
Tel: (+49) (7541) 282 - 462  Fax: (+49) (7541) 282 - 299
http://www.frqnet.de