* Re: Ada debugger
       [not found] <876475007.18171@dejanews.com>
@ 1997-10-10  0:00 ` Samuel Tardieu
From: Samuel Tardieu @ 1997-10-10  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ho

>>>>> "Jimmy" == ho  <ho@iabg.de> writes:

Jimmy> I am considering writing an ada debugger for my final year
Jimmy> project at University.

Jimmy> I have little knowledge of how to go about it and where to
Jimmy> start.  I have found virtually nothing on the internet so far.

You can start by fetching the patch to GDB for GNAT on cs.nyu.edu
(somewhere under /pub/gnat/) and see how it handles Ada structure.

  Sam
--
Samuel Tardieu -- sam@ada.eu.org

* Ada Debugger
@ 1998-01-24  0:00 wanker
From: wanker @ 1998-01-24  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

Before I start, I would like to say that I've browsed this
group, did searches in dejanews for old articles dealing
with this, did web searches, browsed the FAQs, and even
hopped over to the HBAP, and I could not find a satisfactory
answer to my question.  Now I come crawling to you :)

I've recently re-started working with Ada95 and I am having
a problem which I am sure others must be having.  No debugger.

Back when I used Ada95 for the first time (a year or two ago?),
gdb seemed to be the only game in town, and when I used it,
I was seriously unimpressed.  I still recall walking away
from my system in frustration when at certain points in my
code it expected me to debug in C++.  If I wanted to write
C++, why would I use Ada??????

Anyway, 2 years have passed and I'm hoping things aren't
so dismal any longer.  Are there any worthwile debuggers
out there, ones that will actually let you debug Ada code
without having to stoop down to using something primitive
like C++ (there's an idea!)?

Has gdb improved?

Oh, since I'm doing all of this as an excercise, the tools
have to be public domain.  What is available and where
can I find it?

Furthermore, to avoid the horror of spammers (may they all
be trampled underfoot by the mighty Shub Niggurath -- The
Goat With a Thousand Young), my email address is
completely bogotified.  I would appreciate answers posted
here, and I'm sure this will be of service to others with
the same question (as the topic should make finding what
they need easy -- or so I hope).

Thank you in advance.

* Re: Ada Debugger
@ 1998-01-26  0:00 ` Mats Weber
From: Mats Weber @ 1998-01-26  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Before I start, I would like to say that I've browsed this
> group, did searches in dejanews for old articles dealing
> with this, did web searches, browsed the FAQs, and even
> hopped over to the HBAP, and I could not find a satisfactory
> answer to my question.  Now I come crawling to you :)

Look at the GNAT chat archive on <http://www.gnat.com/>. There are several
discussions about gdb.

> Has gdb improved?

Yes. But you need the Adaized version of GDB if you want it to work well. Look
at directories winnt and gdb on <ftp://cs.nyz.edu/pub/gnat/>.

You should have told use which system/compiler you are using.

* Re: Ada Debugger
@ 1998-01-26  0:00   ` Mats Weber
From: Mats Weber @ 1998-01-26  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I wrote:

> Yes. But you need the Adaized version of GDB if you want it to work well. Look
> at directories winnt and gdb on <ftp://cs.nyz.edu/pub/gnat/>.

Should be <ftp://cs.nyu.edu/pub/gnat/>. Sorry.

* Re: ada debugger
       [not found] <372B1317.6477DFA2@santandersupernet.com>
@ 1999-05-01  0:00 ` Matthew Heaney
From: Matthew Heaney @ 1999-05-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

JOAQUIN <JMATAMO@santandersupernet.com> writes:

> I am running ADA95 gnat compiler without a debugger. ( running w98 OS)
> I need a debugget to programme because i am stududying computing in the
> Univerity
> I have been unable to find a free debugger.
> Please do u know where i can find it.

gdb, the gnu debugger, works with gnat.  Get a fully Ada-aware version
from the NYU ftp site.

<ftp://ftp.cs.nyu.edu/pub/gnat>  -- I think that where it is.

Matt

* Re: ada debugger
@ 1999-05-01  0:00   ` James S. Rogers
From: James S. Rogers @ 1999-05-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Matthew Heaney wrote in message ...
>gdb, the gnu debugger, works with gnat.  Get a fully Ada-aware version
>from the NYU ftp site.

Or just download the PC version of GNAT 3.11p.  The debugger is
included with the compiler, an IDE, and a wealth of other useful tools
including
an Ada to HTML Perl script.

Jim Rogers
Colorado Springs, Colorado

* Re: ada debugger
@ 1999-05-02  0:00   ` Ehud Lamm
From: Ehud Lamm @ 1999-05-02  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

My students don't like gdb, being mostly with PC background etc.

Does there exist some debugger that is friendlier?

Ehud Lamm     mslamm@pluto.mscc.huji.ac.il

* Re: ada debugger
@ 1999-05-02  0:00       ` bob
From: bob @ 1999-05-02  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

>Ehud Lamm wrote:
>>
>> My students don't like gdb, being mostly with PC background etc.
>>
>> Does there exist some debugger that is friendlier?

I use DDD. DDD is an X GUI debugger on top of gdb, dbx, xdb, jdb, pydb,
perl. It is more GUI than the best windows has to offer. and it is free :)

I debug my Java code using DDD (on top of jdb), and Ada/C/C++ (on top
of gdb) etc..

There is also xxgdb which is just an X interface to gdb. but DDD is much better.

I think DDD is on http://www.ddd.org but I can be wrong, check your
favorite search engine.

Bob

* Re: ada debugger
@ 1999-05-02  0:00     ` David Botton
       [not found]     ` <l6pKMdhD5XwZ@nedcu4>
From: David Botton @ 1999-05-02  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

gdb under emacs :-)

David Botton

@ 1999-05-03  0:00     ` Robert Dewar
       [not found]     ` <l6pKMdhD5XwZ@nedcu4>
From: Robert Dewar @ 1999-05-03  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article
<Pine.A41.3.96-heb-2.07.990502223948.106368B-100000@pluto.mscc.huji.ac.
il>,
  Ehud Lamm <mslamm@mscc.huji.ac.il> wrote:
> My students don't like gdb, being mostly with PC background etc.
>
> Does there exist some debugger that is friendlier?
>
> Ehud Lamm     mslamm@pluto.mscc.huji.ac.il

How could anyone possibly know the answer to this question if you
don't give some idea of what you find unfriendly about GDBTK!
People have all sorts of ideas about what they want in debuggers.
Discussion of these ideas is fruitful, but a general message like
the one above is not helpful!

* Re: ada debugger
@ 1999-05-03  0:00         ` Ehud Lamm
From: Ehud Lamm @ 1999-05-03  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Seems from your post that DDD is based on X, which may mean that it runs
on Unix. What  I need is something for PCs.

But I'll have a look.

Thanks

From: Ehud Lamm @ 1999-05-03  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 3 May 1999, Robert Dewar wrote:

> In article
> <Pine.A41.3.96-heb-2.07.990502223948.106368B-100000@pluto.mscc.huji.ac.
> il>,
> Ehud Lamm <mslamm@mscc.huji.ac.il> wrote:
> > My students don't like gdb, being mostly with PC background etc.
> >
> > Does there exist some debugger that is friendlier?
> >
> > Ehud Lamm     mslamm@pluto.mscc.huji.ac.il
>

> How could anyone possibly know the answer to this question if you
> don't give some idea of what you find unfriendly about GDBTK!
> People have all sorts of ideas about what they want in debuggers.
> Discussion of these ideas is fruitful, but a general message like
> the one above is not helpful!

Since this wan't meant as a acritique, simply a call-for-suggestions, I
think that saying that people come with a "PC backround" is quite enough.

I find that discussing development tools, at least on Usenet usually
results in more heat than light.

This is why I am just intersted in pointers to tools anyone thinks may fit
the bill of being "more pc like" (i.e., as clsoe to possible to M$ or
Borland (rip) debuggers. Than instead of verbally discussing them, I can
simply go and check them out.

@ 1999-05-03  0:00           ` bob
From: bob @ 1999-05-03  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article
<Pine.A41.3.96-heb-2.07.990503094752.50684B-100000@pluto.mscc.huji.ac.il>, Ehud
says...

>Seems from your post that DDD is based on X, which may mean that it runs
>on Unix. What  I need is something for PCs.

Linux runs on "PC's" ? (or have you not heared the news yet? ;)

When you said PC's I also assumed you meant Linux since you also said gdb?
don't tell us that you have your computer science students sitting there
using windoz and point/click thing? how will they learn about computer
science by just pointing and clicking? :)

Bob

* Re: ada debugger
       [not found]     ` <l6pKMdhD5XwZ@nedcu4>
@ 1999-05-03  0:00       ` Gautier
From: Gautier @ 1999-05-03  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

URLs for GNAT/DOS:

Main EZ2LOAD FTP: ftp://ftp.gwu.edu/pub/ada/ez2load/
Via FTP Search:   http://ftpsearch.lycos.com/cgi-bin/search?form=normal&query=ez2load
RHIDE/RHGDB:      http://www.tu-chemnitz.de/~sho/rho/rhide/rhide.html

--
Gautier

--------
http://members.xoom.com/gdemont/

* Re: ada debugger
@ 1999-05-03  0:00       ` Paul Channell
From: Paul Channell @ 1999-05-03  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert Dewar wrote:

> In article
> <Pine.A41.3.96-heb-2.07.990502223948.106368B-100000@pluto.mscc.huji.ac.
> il>,
>   Ehud Lamm <mslamm@mscc.huji.ac.il> wrote:
> > My students don't like gdb, being mostly with PC background etc.
> >
> > Does there exist some debugger that is friendlier?
> >
> > Ehud Lamm     mslamm@pluto.mscc.huji.ac.il
>
> How could anyone possibly know the answer to this question if you
> don't give some idea of what you find unfriendly about GDBTK!
> People have all sorts of ideas about what they want in debuggers.
> Discussion of these ideas is fruitful, but a general message like
> the one above is not helpful!

  Where are sources for gdbtk? I use linux on a powerpc and would have to
recompile
to use it.

* Re: ada debugger
@ 1999-05-07  0:00         ` Dave Taylor
From: Dave Taylor @ 1999-05-07  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Paul Channell wrote:

> Robert Dewar wrote:
>

> > How could anyone possibly know the answer to this question if you
> > don't give some idea of what you find unfriendly about GDBTK!
> > People have all sorts of ideas about what they want in debuggers.
> > Discussion of these ideas is fruitful, but a general message like
> > the one above is not helpful!

> > http://www.dejanews.com/       Search, Read, Discuss, or Start Your Own
>
>   Where are sources for gdbtk? I use linux on a powerpc and would have to
> recompile
> to use it.

If you locate them, please drop me a line. I'd like to try them too.

Dave